Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

LOW WEIGHT GAIN in NINE MONTH OLD

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2011 at 9:11 PM
  • 15 Replies

My nine month old just had her well visit, during which a big concern was her lack of weight gain.  She is currently 14 ibs 7 oz and in the 1st percentile for weight.  She was in the 20's when she was born, then went down to the 8th at the 6 month appointment, and now is down to the 1st %ile.  I am breastfeeding her, and at this point giving her 3 meals a day.  She is eating cereal and fruit with breast milk in the morning, a veggie and a fruit, or avocado at lunch, and then another veggie based meal in the evening.  I between she has freeze dried fruit or organic puffs.  She also nurses throughout the day, and in the night as well.  I make my own baby food, and put in a lot of effort to ensure that what she eats is quality food, so I am very disheartened that she is puttign on weight so slowly. The doctor suggested adding in another meal of cereal at some point during the  day.  She is not labeled failure to thrive because she is at or beyond all other milestones.  She is active, alert and happy... just very small and petite.  Any advice??

by on Nov. 21, 2011 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sofia0587
by on Nov. 21, 2011 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this
My dd is also small and petite she weighs 12lb 5oz and is 6months like your baby she is very alert, active, strong and meeting her milestones and happy and the dr told me that she's underweight and blah blah blah but to me she's perfect and healthy, if she was truly underweright she's be miserable and hungry way more than she is. Also I'm starting to think they're basing all this weight crap off how huge babies come out now and days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 21, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Quoting echojnicki:

My nine month old just had her well visit, during which a big concern was her lack of weight gain.  She is currently 14 ibs 7 oz and in the 1st percentile for weight.  She was in the 20's when she was born, then went down to the 8th at the 6 month appointment, and now is down to the 1st %ile.  

Percentiles are unimportant. Breastfed babies normally drop off the chart. What matters is one pound per month minimum.

I am breastfeeding her, and at this point giving her 3 meals a day.  She is eating cereal and fruit with breast milk in the morning, a veggie and a fruit, or avocado at lunch, and then another veggie based meal in the evening.  I between she has freeze dried fruit or organic puffs.  She also nurses throughout the day, and in the night as well.  I make my own baby food, and put in a lot of effort to ensure that what she eats is quality food, so I am very disheartened that she is puttign on weight so slowly. The doctor suggested adding in another meal of cereal at some point during the  day.  She is not labeled failure to thrive because she is at or beyond all other milestones.  She is active, alert and happy... just very small and petite.  Any advice??

Need actual weights. I suspect she's doing fine, but it seems she's getting a lot of solids which actually SLOW gain. No cereal.. more breast. Breast first, all the way to the first birthday. More fat in brastmilk. Solids are actually a bit deficient comparatively. 

echojnicki
by on Nov. 21, 2011 at 9:34 PM

So at 9 months what is an OK amount of solids to give her?  I started her on solids at 5 months, at which point I was giving her a small amount of  solids 3X per day per the doctor.  At 6 months she plateaued on the weight chart, and I cut her solids down to once per day.  This did nothing to help her gain weight.  A month later, we were still havign the same problem.  I have since tried to introduce MORE solids to help with the weigt (although I do always  nurse her first to make sure she is getting her fill of milk).  She also still nurses throughout the night.  But introducing more solids has not helped either.  I am hesitant to add in a forth meal of solids, which is what the dr. told me to do today.  

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 21, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Quoting echojnicki:

So at 9 months what is an OK amount of solids to give her?

Whatever she will take AFTER a full nursing. No such thing as too little or too much if given AFTER nursing.

I started her on solids at 5 months, at which point I was giving her a small amount of  solids 3X per day per the doctor.  At 6 months she plateaued on the weight chart,

Ignore the weight chart. Seriously. It's designed for formula babies and has NO bearing on your child. In fact, it's not even good for fromula babies. It's merely a comparison device and that's NOearthly use to anyone. It's like saying ALL moms should be X number of pounds... without taking anything else into account.

and I cut her solids down to once per day.  This did nothing to help her gain weight.  A month later, we were still havign the same problem.  I have since tried to introduce MORE solids to help with the weigt (although I do always  nurse her first to make sure she is getting her fill of milk).

OK, good. That's what we needed to know.

She also still nurses throughout the night.  But introducing more solids has not helped either.  I am hesitant to add in a forth meal of solids, which is what the dr. told me to do today.  

Still need actual weights... Birth, six month, current, age in weeks. I suspect you only have a doc problem.

echojnicki
by on Nov. 21, 2011 at 9:50 PM

OK... just brought out the baby book with all the weights  in it!!  

Birth: 7 lbs. 6 oz.

six months: 13 lbs 0 oz.

nine months: 14 lbs 7 oz.  

age in weeks: 39 weeks

fahmom
by on Nov. 21, 2011 at 9:50 PM
Low weight gain should not be a cause for concern in and of itself. If there were other issues or weight loss that'd be diff. If she's gaining weight however much that's good. Those scales were developed for ff babies who started solids at 4 mo.
ardiaxe
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2011 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I add olive oil to all solids that I give my petite baby. So avocado mixed with olive oil, chopped spinach sautéed in olive oil, baked potato peices dipped in olive oil. It makes a huge difference. Fruits and veggies are great, but are very filling and have less calories than breastmilk. Make every bite matter.
fahmom
by on Nov. 21, 2011 at 9:56 PM
Info on weight gain for bf babies...
http://kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/weight-gain.html

Quoting echojnicki:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 21, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Thanks!

Quoting echojnicki:

She probably dropped into the six pound range by the end of week one... that would be normal.

Good. Pound a month. 208 ounces at 26 weeks.

Check this out: http://kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/weight-gain.html

At six months, average gain drops to 1.75-2.75 ounces per week.

Baby's weight at 39 weeks = 231 ounces

Total gain in 13 weeks = 23 ounces

Average weekly gain = 1.77punces (rounded)

She's on the low end of normal gain but within the normal range!

Relax. CHANGE NOTHING. You're good.

echojnicki
by on Nov. 21, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Thanks.  This makes me feel better about the whole thing.  I will check out that website. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)