Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MIL vent!

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:03 AM
  • 6 Replies

I am very close to in-laws and we were talking about my son's most recent doctors appointment and how he's way behind in the growth percentiles (we're talking 0.59%). He was 5 weeks premature and has finally been gaining weight well. He was born at 6 lbs 5 oz and dropped to 5lbs 8 oz. He is now 4 months old and weighs 11 lbs 7 oz. I was so proud to see that considering he was only 9lbs 5 ozs in mid-October. The doctor wished he had put on more, but was glad to see he quit loosing it and told me to keep doing what I'm doing. My MIL looked at me and says, "I know that you're going to hate hearing this, but maybe you should just give up on the breastfeeding and give him some formula and baby food, because its what he needs" I THINK NOT!! I was only able to nurse my 2 year old for a month and a half, because I naively thought she wasn't getting enough milk from me during one of her growth spurts and I refuse to repeat the mistake. My MIL only breast feed any of her 4 kids between 2 weeks and 5 months. I know formula is ok, but I want my son to have the best that I can give him and I like the bond, but she called me selfish because I'm basically "forcing him to starve". UGH!!! I love her but I was so pissed!

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
ejbljb
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:07 AM
That sounds like great weight gain! Congrats. I get people saying that kind of stuff to me quite a bit..just keep on doing what you're doing :)
larissalarie
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:12 AM
2 moms liked this
He gained 6 lbs in 4 months, but he's "starving"?! •rolls eyes•
Tell mil to shove it. Your aren't selfish to give your child the food nature intended.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:30 AM

Quoting dyrissa:

I am very close to in-laws and we were talking about my son's most recent doctors appointment and how he's way behind in the growth percentiles (we're talking 0.59%).

There is utterly NOTHING wrong with 59%. It merely means that baby is larger than 58% of the other babies of the same age. Pretty damn good for a preemie!

59% would be a problem if it was a score on a test at school. As a measurement of growth, percentiles are completely meaningless.

He was 5 weeks premature and has finally been gaining weight well. He was born at 6 lbs 5 oz and dropped to 5lbs 8 oz. He is now 4 months old and weighs 11 lbs 7 oz.

HOLY FRIJOLES! I'd expect him to be a mere 9 punds 8 ounces at this age... pound a month is what you look for. More is GRAVY.

I was so proud to see that considering he was only 9lbs 5 ozs in mid-October. The doctor wished he had put on more,

Not realistic.

but was glad to see he quit loosing it and told me to keep doing what I'm doing. My MIL looked at me and says, "I know that you're going to hate hearing this, but maybe you should just give up on the breastfeeding and give him some formula and baby food, because its what he needs" I THINK NOT!! I was only able to nurse my 2 year old for a month and a half, because I naively thought she wasn't getting enough milk from me during one of her growth spurts and I refuse to repeat the mistake. My MIL only breast feed any of her 4 kids between 2 weeks and 5 months. I know formula is ok, but I want my son to have the best that I can give him and I like the bond, but she called me selfish because I'm basically "forcing him to starve". UGH!!! I love her but I was so pissed!

In-law is a suffix meaning "to be ignored."

This child is GINORMOUS. There's NOTHING wrong with his weight. NEVER look at percentiles agian till he's in school. They mean NOTHING as far as growth. Pound a month is expected gain. That's ALL.

You're doing FABULOUSLY.

sreichelt26
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:31 AM

she's just uneducated - breastmilk will help him gain way more than formula/food will

MumsTheWord571
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:34 AM
You're doing fantastic. Ignore her
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dyrissa
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:35 AM

Thanks! BTW he's in the point 59 percent...not the 59th. I still feel like he's doing AWESOME! though. :D

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting dyrissa:

I am very close to in-laws and we were talking about my son's most recent doctors appointment and how he's way behind in the growth percentiles (we're talking 0.59%).

There is utterly NOTHING wrong with 59%. It merely means that baby is larger than 58% of the other babies of the same age. Pretty damn good for a preemie!

59% would be a problem if it was a score on a test at school. As a measurement of growth, percentiles are completely meaningless.

He was 5 weeks premature and has finally been gaining weight well. He was born at 6 lbs 5 oz and dropped to 5lbs 8 oz. He is now 4 months old and weighs 11 lbs 7 oz.

HOLY FRIJOLES! I'd expect him to be a mere 9 punds 8 ounces at this age... pound a month is what you look for. More is GRAVY.

I was so proud to see that considering he was only 9lbs 5 ozs in mid-October. The doctor wished he had put on more,

Not realistic.

but was glad to see he quit loosing it and told me to keep doing what I'm doing. My MIL looked at me and says, "I know that you're going to hate hearing this, but maybe you should just give up on the breastfeeding and give him some formula and baby food, because its what he needs" I THINK NOT!! I was only able to nurse my 2 year old for a month and a half, because I naively thought she wasn't getting enough milk from me during one of her growth spurts and I refuse to repeat the mistake. My MIL only breast feed any of her 4 kids between 2 weeks and 5 months. I know formula is ok, but I want my son to have the best that I can give him and I like the bond, but she called me selfish because I'm basically "forcing him to starve". UGH!!! I love her but I was so pissed!

In-law is a suffix meaning "to be ignored."

This child is GINORMOUS. There's NOTHING wrong with his weight. NEVER look at percentiles agian till he's in school. They mean NOTHING as far as growth. Pound a month is expected gain. That's ALL.

You're doing FABULOUSLY.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)