Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about baby latching and delatching ??

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 5:44 PM
  • 6 Replies
My baby girl is a week old and my nipples r bleeding and cracked and so sore that it's hard to nurse her . I'm scared to even put my nipple to her mouth . But her when I get a great latch she ALWAYS pulls back then forth just so she can have my actual nipple , she doesn't want any of my areola in her mouth . And I think that's why my nipples are so tore up . I use breast milk , lanolin and gel pads . How long does it take for nipples to heal ?? And how do I keep her from detaching a good latch ???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 5:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
JealousGrrl
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 5:46 PM

BUMP!

gdiamante
by Gina on Nov. 26, 2011 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

When she unlatches you stop the feed and relatch. Every time. How long it takes to heal depends on how long it takes you to teach her to stop the pulling. As SOON as she starts, you stop her and shove that nipple back in her mouth. Stopping the feed EVERY time she tries to pull down should teach her in no time. Breastmilk on the wounds will have you healed by MONDAY if you can prevent the bad latch.

EDITED TO ADD: Let posts age one hour before bumping. Top of the queue is the worst place to be in this group if you want answers... we look at oldest posts first.

rebeccasmommy09
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 5:51 PM
I don't have any advice since I'm in a similar boat. My nipples are healing and starting to feel better but dd still only wants to keep the nipple in her mouth. She has a bit of a tongue tie though and I suspect that may have something to do with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emileemonteroso
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 6:00 PM
I don't really have any advice but when I thought I was doing it wrong, I found a LLL and asked the leader for help
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 6:02 PM
Have baby checked for a lip tie & tongue tie.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 6:23 PM
Also look at your letdown; does she have difficulty with the flow of your milk? If so look at reclined feeds and blockfeeding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)