Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Biting!!!

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:24 PM
  • 4 Replies
My son has no teeth yet, but he's already biting me. He clamps down so hard, you'd be surprised how much it can hurt! He's got a lot of power behind those little jaws. When he does it I take him off and tell him "no", but it's not helping so far. He's doing it multiple times at each nursing so it's becoming a huge struggle UGH I don't even want to think about him getting teeth now :o
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
collinsmom72
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:29 PM

they all go through it. when you remove him are you breaking the latch with your finger?  it takes the pressure off your nipple with out him tearing you. I tried & it worked sometimes but the MOST effective way I found- advice from a mom of 4- was to not react vocally cuz they can think that's funny, then instead of using my finger I gentally bring baby into my breast this covers their nose just enough that they let go to breathe. NOW I'm not saying smother him it's just a quick cover. it worked for us & others. HANG in there as long as you can get him to understand now when he gets teeth it will only bother you while he's readjusting his latch.

jkj767
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 1:45 AM
My sons six months and does that. I try telling him no and he does find humor in it or he will cry.:-( i like the non verbal advice. My son is also pulling away after he bites down stretching the nipple. Ouch!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 1:49 AM
Yup those hard gums CAN be painful! He needs to sense that you are displeased when he does it. If a stern "no" and being set down & ignored (even if he cries!) for a few minutes isn't working, then definitely try collinsmommy's advice. I've never had to resort to that (so far) yet...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
comf
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 1:51 AM
I just said no really loud and put him down immediately with a hurt look on my face. Even if he cried I didn't pick him up until after a few minutes. Now at 9 months he doesn't bite anymore
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)