Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

My Baby Bites...

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 6:53 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hello,

I am a mother to a wonderful 13 mth old girl born @ 32wks.  I have given her nothing but breast milk from day 1.  I lvoe the bond we have and enjoy our one on one time AND its great for her to nurse however...

lately she latches on and snaps on my nipple! she clamps on and grins while looking at me...it hurts! so ive tried telling her "no" and removing her..give her a minute or two... then she asks for milk again, we try again...and she does it again and again...lately she is doing it more and more...

I dont want to stop nursing her yet...but its ruining that loving bond we have.  She knows she does hurt me...because she hugs me after she sees im in pain...yesterday she stared and i gave her a hug and she hugged me back and it looked like she was going to cry...and my heart broke ...but it really hurts! she has a good grip..

any tips? I'm despreate here...

by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 6:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
collinsmommy0
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Say 'no' firmly, put her down, and walk away. No nursing for at least 5-10 minutes. She isn't nursing when she bites you - she has to pull her tongue back.

Praise her when she doesn't bite. Warn her when you start - "if bite, no more milk." and be consistent. It should stop. If not, increase the time that she isn't allowed to nurse.

Also have teething toys (frozen washcloth, etc) available so when she is close to being done nursing, remind her "all done? Do you want a frozen toy for your mouth?" because she may be doing it due to teething pain
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
proudandalive
by on Dec. 9, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Thank you for that advice...I've tried it and so far so good!!! Sometimes I do need to let her wait longer but she is getting the hang of it!!

Openeyemom
by on Dec. 9, 2011 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Biting usually only happenes after the child has satisfied the hunger so learn to know when she is done and stops actually eating aka swallowing stops etc then remove her. Otherwise a firm no and walk away for 5-10mins. Oh and make sure to tell her why she can't nurse after the bite.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Dec. 9, 2011 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Liek the above poster said, teach nursing manners, there's no reason you should suffer. You woul teach her not to bite you any other time or place & nursing is not any different. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)