Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fact check please...

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:00 AM
  • 8 Replies

I was thumbing through stuff and found a note from a formula company that if you are supplementing formula for a BF baby they should get 7-8 ounces at 9+ months.  Wow, I don't think DD could hold that much if she stored some in her shirt for later.  I can't pump enough anymore so I give her 1.5oz BM and 1.5-2oz formula per bottle on top of her solids and 4 oz juice .  We actually offered 3.5 total in each bottle and she wouldn't eat when she came home.  She is almost 10 months.  I know reverse cycling was offered as a suggestion for her but I don't think it is really an option.  She was preterm, is currently ever so slightly low in weight and still wakes up to eat every 3 hours regularly.

Anyway, am I totally wrong and way underfeeding her.  Or is that much more of formula thing?  BTW, she is bouncing a little on her growth curve keeping between 22nd and 35th percentile and dr is not concerned about her weight.

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
larissalarie
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:03 AM
That would be true for a strictly ff or mostly ff baby. But breastmilk changes so they never need more ounces like with formula. Keeping the formula bottles small is smart and keeps her nursing more & longer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:20 AM

I agree.

Quoting larissalarie:

That would be true for a strictly ff or mostly ff baby. But breastmilk changes so they never need more ounces like with formula. Keeping the formula bottles small is smart and keeps her nursing more & longer.

comf
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:22 AM
I thought you only need 1 ounce per hour until they are 1?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:26 AM
Formula feed babies need increasingly large amounts to meet their increasing nutritional needs because formula never changes. But breastfeed babies never need more than 1-1.25 ounces per hour because breastmilk changes over time to meet the changing needs.

Quoting comf:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:26 AM

Quoting chrismom76:

I was thumbing through stuff and found a note from a formula company that if you are supplementing formula for a BF baby they should get 7-8 ounces at 9+ months. 

Usually with a formula company it's the "they're lying when their lips are moving" sort of thing. No, baby doesn't need that much.

Wow, I don't think DD could hold that much if she stored some in her shirt for later.  I can't pump enough anymore so I give her 1.5oz BM and 1.5-2oz formula per bottle on top of her solids and 4 oz juice .  We actually offered 3.5 total in each bottle and she wouldn't eat when she came home.  She is almost 10 months.  I know reverse cycling was offered as a suggestion for her but I don't think it is really an option.  She was preterm, is currently ever so slightly low in weight and still wakes up to eat every 3 hours regularly.

Anyway, am I totally wrong and way underfeeding her.  Or is that much more of formula thing?  BTW, she is bouncing a little on her growth curve keeping between 22nd and 35th percentile and dr is not concerned about her weight.

Thos elast seven words are the most important here. Rmember that percentiles for growth mean nothing. They merely compare your baby to other babies of the same age. Pththththt to that.

You're doing fine, really. Remember to look at the baby and NEVER at the scale.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:26 AM

Yes, 1-1.25 ounces per hour between feedings.

http://custommademilk.wordpress.com/2010/01/08/the-one-ounce-per-hour-rule-of-bottle-feeding-during-mombaby-separation/

Quoting comf:

chrismom76
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Thanks everyone!  That is what I thought but I have a tendency to question even if I know.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Dec. 4, 2011 at 4:31 PM

How are you doing pumping wise? When do you pump? how often?

Reverse cycling is always an option even for low weight babies because when BFing each feed varies when they get less when mom is away they will take more when with mom, thats the whole premise of reverse cycling, to get baby totake more fromthe breast.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)