Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i need help getting the baby to latch on... please somebody help i feel so stupid! with update

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:06 AM
  • 10 Replies
im still in the hospital from delivering my baby and he was 5 weeks early and was having trouble eating at first but now he's respondin to the breast and actually nursing but i cant get him to latch correctly and i've read all the instructions they've given me to help and i watch them when they do it but i'm still clueless as to how to do it. can somebody explain it to me in a simple way since i'm such an idiot?
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MumsTheWord571
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:12 AM

Have you requested a lactation consultant to help you? You can get one to come in to help you in MOST hospitals...

you're not an idiot. it's not something you can just know.

Tease that baby's mouth and nose with your nipple until he opens up REALLY wide then shove your nipple in as far as it will go by bringing the baby to your breast (not the breast to the baby!) if you gently pinch or tease the nipple erect first it will help too.

You can do it mama!

larissalarie
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:13 AM
Rub your finger along his jawline, when he opens wide, put your breast in as much as possible (remember it's breastfeeding, not nipple feeding). You might have to try MANY times, but remember you are BOTH learning.
Ask an LC for help if at all possible!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LeahNichole81
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:16 AM
One thing that helped with Dd is putting her upright on my chest and letting her "crawl" or working her way down to the breast. This helps baby's mouth be big and wide when going to latch. Is this your first? Don't be scared... You may have to seize a quick opportunity and ,for lack of a better word, really push baby towards your nipple to get a good latch until you 2 get the hang of it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:17 AM

Yes, don't be modest about shoving baby on that nipple!  And do it in a smooth, quick movement, and be firm.  Then check.  The baby should suck, pause, and suck again.  If there is no pause, the latch isn't good, b/c the pause is when the milk is flowing into the mouth.

Don't be afraid to try again and again.  You need to encourage your baby to open wide!  If he isn't, then open your own mouth.  Even at this young age they'll get into mimicking you!

And yes, find an LC in your area!

Quoting larissalarie:

Rub your finger along his jawline, when he opens wide, put your breast in as much as possible (remember it's breastfeeding, not nipple feeding). You might have to try MANY times, but remember you are BOTH learning.
Ask an LC for help if at all possible!

Baby8901
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:36 AM
what pp said! I had a horrible time having him latch but i have flat nipples and it turns out i needed a shield, once i got a shield, he never had a problem :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lilmama821
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:41 AM
i always had flat nipples or the milk would just disappear with my other 3 kids and my nipples are finally cooperating and i wanna do this so bad and the lcs weren't teaching me they were just doing it for me so that's why i was confused. the way all of u put it is so much easier to understand. im gonna try it that way, thanks so much!
ashleigheg
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:44 AM
Try teasing his mouth open by tickling his upper lip with your nipple. That should get him to open nice and wide, then quickly get your breast in his mouth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lilmama821
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:53 AM
i got it on my first try! thanks for ur help i needed him to eat cuz my breasts were about to explode from bein so full
Stelladawn
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:05 AM
Me too...

Quoting Baby8901:

what pp said! I had a horrible time having him latch but i have flat nipples and it turns out i needed a shield, once i got a shield, he never had a problem :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:22 AM
That's great! I'm glad it helped. Pretty soon you'll both be used to it and won't give it a thought :-)

Quoting Lilmama821:

i got it on my first try! thanks for ur help i needed him to eat cuz my breasts were about to explode from bein so full

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)