Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PPD

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:54 PM
  • 6 Replies
I'm afraid I might have PPD, but my symptoms aren't typical from what I can tell. I don't feel depressed, I'm absolutely in love with my baby, but I have a very short fuse with my 2 year old. I feel so bad, but I almost can't stand being around him sometimes. I know it's horrible and I cry thinking about it, but I can't seem to help it. I give myself mental pep talks, telling myself to hasn't patience with him. Then he won't listen and I practically fly off the handle. I haven't physically hurt him, but I'm afraid I might if I get too little sleep one night. I think DS can sense it because his behavior has gotten worse over the past few weeks.

None of this started until after Bre was born and I don't know what to do. I plan to discuss this with my OB on Thursday, but I wanted to see if anyone thinks this is PPD and what I can possibly do to help myself. Right now I'll walk away and take a breather, but I have to do it a lot.

DD is 2 months today.

I know this group doesn't allow bashing, but please don't criticize me. I feel bad enough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:03 PM

No one will criticize you. Yes, you've self-diagnosed very well and yes, you're doing the right things. Stick to your plan. And be unafraid to hand the two year old to someone else for a while to get a breather... if that's story time at the library or to a neighbor or whatever you can come up with.

maggiemom2000
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Depression is such a terrible name because you often don't feel "depressed". When I was first told by a doctor that I had depression I thought he was crazy because I was not "sad". My biggest symptom, and the first symptoms to show are irritability, and a short fuse.

I think you are right that it is very likely that you have PPD. There is some good info at http://www.infantrisk.com/category/depression

Mommavieve
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:32 PM
I just feel like I'm always yelling at him and I feel horrible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:08 PM
It sounds like depression. Definitely talk to your doctor & get friends to help with the kids til you feel better. Exercise can help take the edge off when things feel bad. I have been struggling with symptoms similar to yours for months and daily exercise is helpful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annaica
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:51 PM
Maybe more anxiety than depression. Anxiety is very common during the postpartum period. Just don't ignore your symptoms. Seeking treatment early is the best thing. No reason to be embarrassed. Are you over in the depression support center group too? First thing Monday, call your ob/ gyn and tell them you think you may have PPD. Ask them who you should see. If you need someone to talk to, message me anytime. Hugs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barronbaby
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:54 PM
I'm the same way. And have sought out counseling to help me better deal with my older kids. The counselor thinks I also have post tramatic stress on top of ppd. I wish you luck. It took me almost 8 months to finally get the help I need!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)