Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question ladies is important

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:11 PM
  • 10 Replies

k so by january i should have my breastfeeding counselor certification. once am certified i can charge for home visits or for people coming to my house.  i woner how much i should i charge i dont want to be to price but not to cheap either. also what things do you think i should by for my buissness? i have 12 books about breastfeeding. I am thinking of ordering a medela weight scale and some other stuff any ideas. also what things as a breastfeeding mom woud you guys like a counselor to help you with most. i really want to be a very good counselor. we do have and lc at the hospital here and wic but they do not offer home visits or follow ups

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahPeluso
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:25 PM
Different positions
Latching advice
Self weaning
Nighttime feeding
Cluster
And how to clear ducts and engorgement

All things I wish the class more detailed about

Quoting piwife:

k so by january i should have my breastfeeding counselor certification. once am certified i can charge for home visits or for people coming to my house.  i woner how much i should i charge i dont want to be to price but not to cheap either. also what things do you think i should by for my buissness? i have 12 books about breastfeeding. I am thinking of ordering a medela weight scale and some other stuff any ideas. also what things as a breastfeeding mom woud you guys like a counselor to help you with most. i really want to be a very good counselor. we do have and lc at the hospital here and wic but they do not offer home visits or follow ups

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:41 PM
I don't know about what you should charge, I've never seen a lactation consultant. But I think along with the obvious stuff you should maybe provide info on how to properly bottle feed a breastfed baby and info on how night waking is normal & good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Good for you!

I wish I had some advice on pricing, but I don't. You might contact ilca.org for guidance on pricing and on any insurance you need to carry for home visits.

I know that the LCs in my area made a lot of money by renting pumps out, too. That would likely take some serious coin to get starte4d, though.

annaica
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:55 PM
Congrats! I have no idea. sorry lol! But here is a bump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommabug10
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:06 PM

I've been a lactation educator/couno chargeselor for a few months now and still dont know what to charge! I have done a lot of free visits for friends. I'm just more concerned about getting my experience hours (to become an IBCLC) than making money. Once I do start making money, I want to buy a pump or two to rent out. I'm also going to teach classes and will charge $20 for a 2-3 hour class.

Where are you getting your certification from?

TwinmomAlicia
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:18 PM
The LC I like charges $150 for the initial consultation at home, and $75 for an office visit for one hour. Two hours is $125. Follow -ups are $40. Weight checks in the office are free. They also rent pumps, sell nursing bras and tanks, and have classes, from beginners to starting solids. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:53 PM

I think you should have syringes and an SNS on hand, nipple SHELLS and nipple shields, sample tubes of lanolin(call lansinoh I know the doulas in my area have these), a good list of websites/books moms can refer to.

I dunno prices, my LC doesnt charge me since i gave birth at the hospital she is at and there are no BFing counselors in my area that I know of

piwife
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 10:05 PM

am going thru childbirth international. am also starting to get my pre reqs for nursing so i can become and lc. well with tax money i hope to get some stuff.

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Dec. 5, 2011 at 10:24 PM
yes, was thinking too that it would begood to sell nursng bras and baby carriers (like slings) from your home as well.

Quoting TwinmomAlicia:

The LC I like charges $150 for the initial consultation at home, and $75 for an office visit for one hour. Two hours is $125. Follow -ups are $40. Weight checks in the office are free. They also rent pumps, sell nursing bras and tanks, and have classes, from beginners to starting solids. Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2011 at 10:28 PM
The IBCLC in my area (bay area California, so everything is expensive) was $75 an hour & came to my house. She spent over 3 hours with me & charged me $150.

Since you are not IBCLC, I would find out how much the closest one to you charges and charge less.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)