Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

fenugreek

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:52 PM
  • 8 Replies

DOES ANYONE USE FENUGREEK TO HELP MILK SUPPLY? WHAT IS IN IT, AND HOW DO I KNOW IT IS SAFE FOR MY BABY.

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Its herbal and yes its safe for mom and baby as long as mom is NOT preggers and is not diabetic.

Do you think you have a supply issue?

weatherby3
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:58 PM
i have been wonderin the same thing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Billsbabygirl
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:59 PM
I took it and gained forty lbs... Look up what it's used for in other countries and the side effects
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lVargas0588
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:26 PM
Well lately it feels like I been feading my two month old like every hour. Really should be about every 3hour or so. So I tryed to pump all day every3 hours and giving him a bottle. This way I can see how much he eats to get full. About 5oz to get full but been pumping 3oz every 3hours. I am going back to work soon and I dont want to give him formula.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:38 PM

Quoting lVargas0588:

Well lately it feels like I been feading my two month old like every hour.normal Really should be about every 3hour or so.according to who? So I tryed to pump all day every3 hours and giving him a bottle.if you want to pump ONLY you have to pump every 2-3 hours around the clock even at night with a quality pump,but if baby can nurse thenbaby should nurse pumping SUCKS This way I can see how much he eats to get full.bottles dont show you that, babies overeat from bottles easily About 5oz to get full overfeedingbut been pumping 3oz every 3hours.PERFECT 24 oz a day is what a baby needs and to be able to pump that is AMAZING!!! I am going back to work soon and I dont want to give him formula.then stop giving him bottles

Honestly stop the bottles and never ever give a 5 oz bottle again.  BF babies need 1-1.25 oz an hour so 3 oz bottle is a MAX size bottles ever to give them.  BF babies tend to go through growth spurts and need to nurse extra, they can nurse constantly and still act starved.  They will overeat from bottles and keeping up when pumping is HARD!  Nurse baby when you are together to nurse, if baby does this overtime your body willknow what to make and baby will go back to nursing every 2-3 hours.  3 hours is the HIGH end of normal.  Pump here and there and store that milk for when you go back to work, pump every 3 hours at work and leave baby bottles of 3 oz to be given every 2.5-3 hours.  Everything will be fine, you dont need fenugreek you make plenty of milk!

gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Quoting lVargas0588:

Well lately it feels like I been feading my two month old like every hour.
That's normal.
Really should be about every 3hour or so.
Nope. Not true. Whoever told you that was incorrect. On demand means just that. babies can't tell time. **smile**
So I tryed to pump all day every3 hours and giving him a bottle. This way I can see how much he eats to get full.
Oooh, no. They'll keep eating till the bottle is gone just to keep from choking. Have you ever heard that it takes our brain 20 minutes to register that our stomachs are full? Same thing for babies. The bottle won't tell you anything.
About 5oz to get full
Oooh. Five ounces is too much. Three ounces. He will be fine. You don't want him "satisfied" with bottles. That way lies nipple preference and refusal of the breast. Believe me on this... five ounces is over feeding.
but been pumping 3oz every 3hours. I am going back to work soon and I dont want to give him formula.

Your pump output is FABULOUS. You don't need fenugreek. You just need better info!

Baby's constant nursing is normal. Let it continue. When you go back to work, baby needs 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour of separation. No more! More is overfeeding.

lVargas0588
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:53 PM
That is good yo know, I just gave him 3oz and he is still fussing. Its been about 2every hours sence he last ate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 4, 2011 at 12:20 AM

OK. That bottle you gave? It's the last one YOU give, unless you're pumping only (and if you are, you need to do that every two hours). Every bottle you give is depriving your body of the signal to make milk, and can lead to actually needing fenugreek.

Put the bottles away. Let the sitter do 'em when you're not there. Put the baby to breast. Every two hours is normal.

Quoting lVargas0588:

That is good yo know, I just gave him 3oz and he is still fussing. Its been about 2every hours sence he last ate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)