Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

nervous about breastfeeding

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:00 PM
  • 7 Replies

so i have a two year old son and i wasnt getting enough milk for him so i had to go to formula anyway i want to make the best for this baby im and 17 weeks and thinking about this all the time. should i pump so i have enough milk??? i have to go to work after 6 weeks so i want to make sure i have enough milk for that too i really need help i want my baby to have the best

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:39 PM

Quoting Avmommy19:

so i have a two year old son and i wasnt getting enough milk for him

What led you to believe that? The ONLY true indication of getting enough is the number of dipes you change. NOTHING else counts.

so i had to go to formula anyway i want to make the best for this baby im and 17 weeks and thinking about this all the time. should i pump so i have enough milk???

What, now? Absolutely not during pregnancy if that's what you mean. Best way to ensure supply when baby arrives is to nurse on demand. Count dipes. One change per day of life in week one. 6-8 changes per day after that, up to about 3-4 months old, when the count can drop a little.

i have to go to work after 6 weeks so i want to make sure i have enough milk for that too i really need help i want my baby to have the best

You're in the right place. We are here to serve.

You should know that normal pump output is half an ounce to two ounces.

Avmommy19
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Avmommy19:

What led you to believe that? The ONLY true indication of getting enough is the number of dipes you change. NOTHING else counts.

so i had to go to formula anyway i want to make the best for this baby im and 17 weeks and thinking about this all the time. should i pump so i have enough milk???

What, now? Absolutely not during pregnancy if that's what you mean. Best way to ensure supply when baby arrives is to nurse on demand. Count dipes. One change per day of life in week one. 6-8 changes per day after that, up to about 3-4 months old, when the count can drop a little.

i have to go to work after 6 weeks so i want to make sure i have enough milk for that too i really need help i want my baby to have the best

with my two year old kid he wasnt gaining any weight and wasent getting enough diapers.

gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Avmommy19:

Quoting Avmommy19:

with my two year old kid he wasnt gaining any weight and wasent getting enough diapers.

OK. Dipe count matters. Weight gain... they only put on 4-6 ounces per week from LOWEST weight, and the charts are to be ignored. They mean nothing. 

Another thing to file away in your mind: four tablespoons water in a dipe = one wet. And a poop can count as TWO dipes. We count changes.

Now, the best way to ensure that you do have enough milk is to nurse immediately upon birth, room in with baby (pass on the nursery) and remember to feed on demand. If baby is sleepy in that first couple of days, be a thorn in his side and wake him at least till the meconium is passed.

Get a sling. That's mandatory with more than one kid...baby can nurse at will while your hands are free. And do let baby nurse at will. No bottles when you're present.

You can start pumping whenever you like once baby arrives, to stock up for going back to work. Baby will need 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour that you're away. Best output will be in the morning, baby nursing on one side and the pump on the other.

And make sure you have a good quality pump. That means an Ameda, a Hygeia or a Medela.

Avmommy19
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:59 PM

i have two medelas the double ones i had one with my son and my aunt just gave me hers so i have that one covered so i can start pumping right away after baby is born to start storing for when i go back to work??

gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 4, 2011 at 12:25 AM

Quoting Avmommy19:

i have two medelas the double ones i had one with my son and my aunt just gave me hers so i have that one covered so i can start pumping right away after baby is born to start storing for when i go back to work??

I'd wait until your milk is actually in, but yes, you can start pretty much right away.

Hottubgodess
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Here is what you need to do to answer all your questions - Attend a Local La Leche League Meeting!!  The local leaders will answer all your questins and be there to help you during the process.  All you can do now is be healthy, and give this baby a good pregnancy.  Save worry for after baby is born. 

BTW - many moms think they dont have enough milk.  Add in a pedi who doesnt know anything about breastfeeding and a mom is switched to formula.  A local leader can help you thru the pitfalls.  :) Go to http://www.llli.org/ to find a leader.

Quoting Avmommy19:

so i have a two year old son and i wasnt getting enough milk for him so i had to go to formula anyway i want to make the best for this baby im and 17 weeks and thinking about this all the time. should i pump so i have enough milk??? i have to go to work after 6 weeks so i want to make sure i have enough milk for that too i really need help i want my baby to have the best

Imagine driving a car that isn't working well. When you step on the gas the car sometimes lurches forward and sometimes doesn't respond. When you blow the horn it sounds blaring. The brakes sometimes slow the car, but not always. The blinkers work occasionally, the steering is erratic, and the speedometer is inaccurate. You are engaged in a constant struggle to keep the car on the road, and it is difficult to concentrate on anything else. -Stanley Greenspan
Medications and Mother's Milk - Group Owner  

Gruntlings
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Was he ever evaluated for a tongue tie?

At what point was it decided that he wasn't gaining weight?

Were his wet/poopy diaper counts good? When the wet/poopy counts are good "supply" is suspect as a diagnosis. More often it's another issue. My son had failure to thrive and it was a tongue tie. He gained 2lbs in 5 weeks after it was clipped.

Quoting Avmommy19:

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Avmommy19:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)