Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nursing during pregnancy and tandem nursing

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:34 PM
  • 12 Replies
I have a almost 7 month old dd that is nursing about every 3-4 hours pretty much around the clock and I just found out today that I'm pregnant again... I'm still totally in shock. Lol my first two kids are 13ish months apart and then the gap between my 2nd and 3rd child is 2.5 years. So anyways when I got pregnant with my 2nd my first was 4 months old
And I knew immediately because my milk suffered drastically from it and I ended up switching to formula for that reason mixed a few others. This time there's no way I could put her on formula she will not take a bottle for her life or a paci for that matter lol plus I'm totally enjoying bfing her and she loves it so why would I take that away from her.. So anyways you are my problem. I don't want my milk supply to suffer like it did last time, does that always happen or is there anything I can do to prevent it? Is fenugreek safe to take while pregnant? And how does tandem nursing work? I would Like to nurse her past a yr but dh doesn't think it possible because "then the new baby won't get colostrum if I don't dry up from nursing dd" that's his train of thought. I know tandem nursing is possible but I never in my wildest dreams thought I would be in this situation again. So is there any good websites or books with info on this stuff? And is there anything critical I should know about nursing during pregnancy? Thanks ladies!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:43 PM

No fenugreek when pregnant. I'll leave the rest of your questions for our mods with experience in this... tabi?

blg5484
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:54 PM

DD was 7 month when I got preggers for DS my milk never dried up i stayed well hudrated even with the morning sickness try eating lots of oatmeal even oatmeal cookies work for me. my milk turned to colosturm when DS was born lasted 2 days and went back to milk The hardest part of tandum is getting them positioned i cradle DS and let DD lay in a sort of football position. DD will be 18 months on the 21st DS is 8 weeks sense he has been born DD has has a cold ear infection and all 4 molers breaking the skin so she has been extreamly fussy and needy all of this has her sleep messed up and her nursing messed up too. She has her days and night backwards like a newborn (ds doesnt) and she has gone back to nursing at least every 2 hours round the clock sometimes more and we have been fighting thrush. Its hard work but its worth it at the end of the day and you adjust to it. best of luck. and congrats

morrigan914
by Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 12:27 AM

I had to wean, it hurt too much durning my forth month, but i never dried up and my baby was 19 months old, so...

there is something you can take to help with supply, one of the awesome moms will no what its called. goodluck!

larissalarie
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 12:29 AM
No to fenugreek. You can't do a whole heck of a lot to stop the milk from drying up because it's due to the hormones (needed to support the pregnancy). Some moms do fine, most do dry up. It's the one time you really might have to supplement (watch diapers!), but keep nursing. You will still have colostrum for the baby even if you nurse through the pregnancy. And your body WILL make enough for both :-)
Kellymom.com had good info on tandem nursing.
Definitely keep your hydration up, eat plenty (oatmeal can help supply). If she won't take a bottle, try a sippy cup for extra fluids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelbabies14
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 2:47 AM
I got pregnant when my DD was 7 months as well. I never had to supplement but you do beed to count diapers to be sure she is getting enough. My DD started solids around 7.5 months as well. I didn't "dry up" right away. It took awhile for my supply to drop. Some babies will wean themselves they either don't like the fact they aren't getting milk or they don't like the taste anymore. In that case you would have to supplement depending on age. Your supply will be affected, unfortunately there isn't anything you can do. When it's hormonal, pregnancy related, nothing will change that. My daughter nursed all the way through, she was 16 months when he was born. I had colostrum for him and got my milk back in at 3 days PP. She continued on nursing until she was 2.5. I hope this works out for you! Good luck and congrats!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Dec. 4, 2011 at 8:13 AM

NO fenugreek, no mothers milk tea either.  You acn take MOre Milk too by motherlove..google it, its like more milk plus but no fenugreek.  I would honestly start pumping and storing beucase if baby was a BIT older i would say you could make it a year without supplementing but 7 months...yeah usually milk dries up between 12-16 weeks and colostrum is in 18-24 weeks.  Now not everyone dries up BUT theres a high chance because most do.  YES its still beneficial to nurse AND you can do a supplemental nursing system if you have to supplement and she refuses bottles.  COlostrum doesnt get emptied or dry up just like your regular milk doesnt, you make what is taken...

Tell hubby to hush, women nurse through pregnancy all the time, in fact it helped my milk come in FASTER when my 3rd was still nursing when my 4th was born.

supercoo
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 9:45 AM
Everyone keeps telling me breast feeding is the best birth control ever, or even pumping and that I'd u just pump a bit here and there, no way can u get preggers. So if u dont mind me asking, how did this happen? Dis u plan it and stop bfing while ovulating? Is that whole thing just made up? How did u know to check if u were preggers again when we still have a lot of those symptoms post pregnancy?? I had a scare last week, well my husband freaked me out cuz we are extremely fertile. I still throw up all the time and thought nothing of it and then he pulls the"maybe ur pregnant" gag. I can't tell cuz no period, boobs always hurt and feel weird, usually got some tummy thing going on, Etc so how would we know other then buying tests just cuz??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
clasater
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 10:50 AM
Lol oh girl you will be in trouble if you listen to that advice! Bfing is not a good form of bc unless you follow some specific guidelines.. I'll link them to you when I'm not mobile or maybe another mommy here can. But I just got off the mini pill recently to start charting my cycles using FAM and I just had a feeling plus I stocked up on dollar store tests just in case cuz I'm paranoid because we are extremely fertile. Lol

Quoting supercoo:

Everyone keeps telling me breast feeding is the best birth control ever, or even pumping and that I'd u just pump a bit here and there, no way can u get preggers. So if u dont mind me asking, how did this happen? Dis u plan it and stop bfing while ovulating? Is that whole thing just made up? How did u know to check if u were preggers again when we still have a lot of those symptoms post pregnancy?? I had a scare last week, well my husband freaked me out cuz we are extremely fertile. I still throw up all the time and thought nothing of it and then he pulls the"maybe ur pregnant" gag. I can't tell cuz no period, boobs always hurt and feel weird, usually got some tummy thing going on, Etc so how would we know other then buying tests just cuz??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
clasater
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 10:51 AM
Using bfing as bc is called LAM that's what I had in mind at least. You could probably google it easily. :)

Quoting clasater:

Lol oh girl you will be in trouble if you listen to that advice! Bfing is not a good form of bc unless you follow some specific guidelines.. I'll link them to you when I'm not mobile or maybe another mommy here can. But I just got off the mini pill recently to start charting my cycles using FAM and I just had a feeling plus I stocked up on dollar store tests just in case cuz I'm paranoid because we are extremely fertile. Lol

Quoting supercoo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Umm breastfeeding is NOT the best birh control! If you don't want another baby, you need to be using some other form. SOME women can't get pregnant while they bf, but there's no way of knowing who that will be or won't be. They say as long as you are exclusively breastfeeding (no supplements, no pacifiers) it is decently effective in the first 6 months IF you period doesn't come back.

Quoting supercoo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)