Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thrush??? Please help!

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:56 PM
  • 1 Replies

I've been having issues with breastfeeding. My baby is almost a month old. It was mostly because he has a super strong latch. I had been using a nipple shield. I have been seeing a lactation consultant once a week so far. Well, the latching got better, then worse, and just up and down. Well, this morning and past couple days I've noticed my nipples are very dark purple and the base of the nipple is red. My nipples burn and are just very tender. Everything hurts to touch. So I went to the LC again today and we figured out that the nipple shield was probably making the redness at the base and that I probably have an allergic reaction from my nursing pads. I have been using cloth pads all day and it has made a huge difference. And I stopped using the nipple shield. 

SO...my LC said that I could have thrush but the purple nipples were throwing her off. The reason she said I could have thrush is because of the shooting pains to my nipples and my nipples burning. (I nursed whle at her office...things were doing okay until the end and I felt the pins and needle feeling again. That always happens near the end of nursing) Right now, they are not purple but red. So I guess they could be healing? because I haven't been using the shield all day. 

My baby has no sign of thrush at all. No diaper rash and no whiteness in his mouth. So.....are my nipples just healing or do I have thrush? Basically, my nipples still hurt (like pins and needles) and I have the shooting pains every once in  awhile in my breasts. 

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 4, 2011 at 12:23 AM

Thrush can be present with no symptoms in baby. It wouldn't hurt to treat as thrush. It's good you're off the shielf because that can make things worse.

But another thought is Raynauds. Or vasospasms. I don't know a lot about treating these but we have some moms here who are pros on it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)