Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

No wonder people around here dont breastfeed!

I took my son to the doctors office yesterday which also resulted in taking him to the ER. (turns out hes fine) but anyway, When I got to the doctors office the nurse  was looking him over and things and then says, Is he still on FORMULA!?  Umm no, actually hes still on breastmilk and has never had a drop of fomula! She SHOULD have asked if he was still on breastmilk!! If it wasnt me she was talking to,someone else could have felt they werent a good parent or felt bad because they werent using formula. Health care providers dont even encourage breastfeeding anymore, no wonder people having babies now, arent doing it!!

Then when I was at the hospital, my little mason got hungry so I fed him, not behind a closed door or a certain, but right there on the bed with just a recieving blanket to cover. Noone even noticed. Then when we were leaving (because it took us so long) he was hungry again, instead of leaving and feeding him in the car before we left, I asked the nurse if she minded me staying just another few minutes so I could feed  my son. And I proceeded to sit in the chair that was there. She said no thats fine, then she noticed I breastfeed him! She almost frantically asked "Oh do you want to sit behind the certain or move to your own room?" I unsnapped my bra and continued on and said no Im ok thank you.

This nurse really didnt know what to do! lol She literally was frantic and pulled certain closed quite fast. I just laughed at her! Then When I was finished, I walked out to leave and the nurses at the nurses station said good-bye and commented on how mason seemed to happy and content and the nurse that had closed the certain said in a whisper..Yea she just got done breastfeeding him! I could feel their eyes on me as I walked out.

Lol Its just crazy to me how people act over breastfeeding. Its a wonderful and natural thing but everyone acts as if its a shame. I am not big chested by any means so that couldnt have been the issue, I also wasnt showing anything at all. lol

by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 11:11 AM
Replies (11-20):
Razzle_Dazzle1
by Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 1:01 PM
4 moms liked this

My older sister and I and I both talked very young and, once when I was about 8 months old I came up to my mother at church and said "Boo boo mama!" and some guy heard and told my mother "If she's old enough to ask for it then she's too old for it." My mother replied "Just because she is smart doesn't mean that her nutritional needs have changed. You can criticize my parenting when your three year old isn't running around with a baby bottle." When my baby was first born, we went to my mother's new church and I asked the pastor's wife if there was somewhere i could go to nurse, because I thought that people in the church might have a problem with it, and she told me to go ahead and nurse her in the santuary. If anyone had a problem she would tell them to get over it.

mrssmitley1210
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Anywhere I go with my son when its medical asks if he is breast or bottle fed. I have never had anyone just assume its formula. The Drs office didnt care if I stayed late after an appointment and nurse either. Maybe its the area? I dunno.

LandonsMom1114
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Soe places are really good about it, like Canada, My grandmoter lives there and when we went to visit, not one person had a question about where the bottle was or using formula, they all assumed I was breastfeeding. I was so happy that I didnt have to correct anyone and conversations just went so smoothly. It wasnt out of the norm. to anyone there. Where I live, I dont think I know one person who nurses or has nursed. Not even the other women in the family (my husbands side) None of them even "tried" to nurse but found a reason why they couldnt.

ashleigheg
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 2:27 PM
SMDH for you! I'm lucky to have a pediatrician who bedshared and breastfed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Dec. 4, 2011 at 2:49 PM
When my one ds had surgery around 11 months they told me no food or drink after midnight the day before surgery. I told then they were mistaken and I had read 3-4 hours before surgery for breastmilk. They have never had anyone question them about this before. They had to call downtown to the Cleveland Clinic to clarify it. You would expect the medical community to have a bit of a clue. :-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShortThumbs
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Ok I have to ask... where the heck do you live??

kitty8199
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I had to call the nurse line last night. Maddie had a fever 103.1. At her age it is in the "call your dr range". The woman was asking how much formula she drank (like oz amount), I was like I don`t know how many oz, I BF. Later in the conversation she told me to make sure she still gets her formula. SMH. She drinks boobie!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby4us09
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 4:19 PM

I had something similar to me happen at my sons school. I was nursing my dd in the office of the school and the secretary RAN out and asked if I wanted to move to a room. I said no Im fine. She just looked at me like ok.

Mrs.Rounds
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 4:33 PM
my son was jaundice and i had to take him in and get his heal pricked every day for 3 days. The first day I took him in and they cut his heal I felt so bad. So to calm him down I just un did my shirt to feed him while she was squeezing the blood. She tried to grab the curtan and pull it cuz the door was open. And i laughed and told her that it was fine, that I'm not worried about it. She looked at me and said that there were other people with kids there. Like i was doing something wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, my kids' doctor supports my bf fully.  He loves that I bf and actually told me that I don't have to give cows milk if I bf three or more times a day.  lol

Anyhow, I did have a time when I was bf my son when the cable guy got here.  I had been bf from before he was there, and he was putting the cable in at our new house.  I was DONE bf a few minutes after he got here(twenty or so minutes after he got in the living room) and I took my son off (who was 18 months old).  He turned this freakish shade of red and said, "I wish you had told me  you were going to do THAT!!!!!" And I kind of laughed, since I had been doing that since five minutes before he even knocked on the door.  I just couldn't believe that someone would freak out that much over a mom feeding her child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)