Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No wonder people around here dont breastfeed!

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 11:11 AM
  • 90 Replies
1 mom liked this

I took my son to the doctors office yesterday which also resulted in taking him to the ER. (turns out hes fine) but anyway, When I got to the doctors office the nurse  was looking him over and things and then says, Is he still on FORMULA!?  Umm no, actually hes still on breastmilk and has never had a drop of fomula! She SHOULD have asked if he was still on breastmilk!! If it wasnt me she was talking to,someone else could have felt they werent a good parent or felt bad because they werent using formula. Health care providers dont even encourage breastfeeding anymore, no wonder people having babies now, arent doing it!!

Then when I was at the hospital, my little mason got hungry so I fed him, not behind a closed door or a certain, but right there on the bed with just a recieving blanket to cover. Noone even noticed. Then when we were leaving (because it took us so long) he was hungry again, instead of leaving and feeding him in the car before we left, I asked the nurse if she minded me staying just another few minutes so I could feed  my son. And I proceeded to sit in the chair that was there. She said no thats fine, then she noticed I breastfeed him! She almost frantically asked "Oh do you want to sit behind the certain or move to your own room?" I unsnapped my bra and continued on and said no Im ok thank you.

This nurse really didnt know what to do! lol She literally was frantic and pulled certain closed quite fast. I just laughed at her! Then When I was finished, I walked out to leave and the nurses at the nurses station said good-bye and commented on how mason seemed to happy and content and the nurse that had closed the certain said in a whisper..Yea she just got done breastfeeding him! I could feel their eyes on me as I walked out.

Lol Its just crazy to me how people act over breastfeeding. Its a wonderful and natural thing but everyone acts as if its a shame. I am not big chested by any means so that couldnt have been the issue, I also wasnt showing anything at all. lol

by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby8901
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 11:15 AM
lol wow...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Razzle_Dazzle1
by Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 11:24 AM

I've had the same problem. I'm discrete about breastfeeding in public, I cover up and everything but that's for my modesty, not anyone else's embarrassment. I've had people look at me with raised eyebrows and I had someone at a restaurant come up to me and say "Why can't you do that in the bathroom?" I told him "Why can't you eat in the bathroom. There are no laws against breastfeeding." One of the stores at the mall has a sitting area by the bathroom to nurse babies in and the Toys-R-Us has a small room with a rocking chair to nurse in and, when these places are provided, I have no problem nursing there but I'm not going to nurse my baby in the bathroom.

LandonsMom1114
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Yea that was my thought lol

Razzle_Dazzle1
by Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 11:29 AM
13 moms liked this

I actually had an old man come up to me at the grocery store when I was nursing once and say "That's so beautiful. My kids are grown up now and I miss it when they were little babies. Enjoy this why you can because it doesn't last very long. Your little girl is beautiful, by the way."

cmdirtybit
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this
how old is he? I know a lot of people who think it is "weird" to breatfeed children over one. I dont know how being healthy is weird....but ok?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LandonsMom1114
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 11:31 AM

aww how sweet

LandonsMom1114
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Hes only 3months old lol

VeganEcoMama
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 11:47 AM
That's crazy, especially in a medical area. The office where I take my baby super supports bf'ing, there are people in the waiting room feeding ans when the appoinents done they ask if I want to hang around and feed him. But the other places I've been are not so suppotive, when I took him for his ultrasound for his heart the staff asked if I had a bottle for him like 3 times and I kept saying I don't have bottles, I am his bottle. He was crying a lot and they kept asking how I calm him down and I said I bf him and they just looked at me weird. Ugh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LandonsMom1114
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Yes, Its very frustating, I could understand weird looks if someone just whips a boob out but when your just sitting there breastfeeding, there is no need for rude comments or stares.

lorsmommy08
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 12:03 PM

How frustrating! Everywhere I've been, they've been really good about it. Of course I do feed in the car a lot. But like my inlaws were unsure of taking Aedan and I to a show(he's almost 4 months) because no one else can do for him what I do. I'm not afraid to NIP, haha, and I know my rights and the laws cover me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)