Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

No wonder people around here dont breastfeed!

I took my son to the doctors office yesterday which also resulted in taking him to the ER. (turns out hes fine) but anyway, When I got to the doctors office the nurse  was looking him over and things and then says, Is he still on FORMULA!?  Umm no, actually hes still on breastmilk and has never had a drop of fomula! She SHOULD have asked if he was still on breastmilk!! If it wasnt me she was talking to,someone else could have felt they werent a good parent or felt bad because they werent using formula. Health care providers dont even encourage breastfeeding anymore, no wonder people having babies now, arent doing it!!

Then when I was at the hospital, my little mason got hungry so I fed him, not behind a closed door or a certain, but right there on the bed with just a recieving blanket to cover. Noone even noticed. Then when we were leaving (because it took us so long) he was hungry again, instead of leaving and feeding him in the car before we left, I asked the nurse if she minded me staying just another few minutes so I could feed  my son. And I proceeded to sit in the chair that was there. She said no thats fine, then she noticed I breastfeed him! She almost frantically asked "Oh do you want to sit behind the certain or move to your own room?" I unsnapped my bra and continued on and said no Im ok thank you.

This nurse really didnt know what to do! lol She literally was frantic and pulled certain closed quite fast. I just laughed at her! Then When I was finished, I walked out to leave and the nurses at the nurses station said good-bye and commented on how mason seemed to happy and content and the nurse that had closed the certain said in a whisper..Yea she just got done breastfeeding him! I could feel their eyes on me as I walked out.

Lol Its just crazy to me how people act over breastfeeding. Its a wonderful and natural thing but everyone acts as if its a shame. I am not big chested by any means so that couldnt have been the issue, I also wasnt showing anything at all. lol

by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 11:11 AM
Replies (21-30):
sreichelt26
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 4:39 PM
2 moms liked this
Only 3 months and asked if he was still on formula?! As opposed to what...pizza and beer? Even if you did formula, that's all he should be on...

Quoting LandonsMom1114:

Hes only 3months old lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 4:41 PM

I know right!  I mean, goodness forbid that a child see a mom feed her child the natural way!  They might get ideas about how boobs are not just for men to look at an use!  omg the horror!

ETA-my sons are 22 months, four, nine, and fifteen.  They do not bat an eye when I breastfeed their siblings.  They can't figure out why its taboo for their friends when I bf in front of them...my son actually told his friend, that's how babies are supposed to eat anyway.  No big deal.  He's nine.  He was 7 then.

Quoting Mrs.Rounds:

my son was jaundice and i had to take him in and get his heal pricked every day for 3 days. The first day I took him in and they cut his heal I felt so bad. So to calm him down I just un did my shirt to feed him while she was squeezing the blood. She tried to grab the curtan and pull it cuz the door was open. And i laughed and told her that it was fine, that I'm not worried about it. She looked at me and said that there were other people with kids there. Like i was doing something wrong.

TxMom2324
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 4:42 PM
I didn't know that. Cameron will be having surgery when he turns a year and he isn't able too fast because I'd his MCAD and that was a worry of mine.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

When my one ds had surgery around 11 months they told me no food or drink after midnight the day before surgery. I told then they were mistaken and I had read 3-4 hours before surgery for breastmilk. They have never had anyone question them about this before. They had to call downtown to the Cleveland Clinic to clarify it. You would expect the medical community to have a bit of a clue. :-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Rounds
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 4:51 PM
I would expect the reaction anywhere but in a hospital.. I was a little upset.

Quoting celestegood:

I know right!  I mean, goodness forbid that a child see a mom feed her child the natural way!  They might get ideas about how boobs are not just for men to look at an use!  omg the horror!

ETA-my sons are 22 months, four, nine, and fifteen.  They do not bat an eye when I breastfeed their siblings.  They can't figure out why its taboo for their friends when I bf in front of them...my son actually told his friend, that's how babies are supposed to eat anyway.  No big deal.  He's nine.  He was 7 then.

Quoting Mrs.Rounds:

my son was jaundice and i had to take him in and get his heal pricked every day for 3 days. The first day I took him in and they cut his heal I felt so bad. So to calm him down I just un did my shirt to feed him while she was squeezing the blood. She tried to grab the curtan and pull it cuz the door was open. And i laughed and told her that it was fine, that I'm not worried about it. She looked at me and said that there were other people with kids there. Like i was doing something wrong.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperMom2433
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 4:54 PM
Geez...
When I went for our first WIC appt my two month old son got hungry. The WIC lady (an LC and a member of LLL) said, "You can nurse him if you want". Well duh! Of course Im going to feed him! Then she asked if I wanted her to close the blinds. I told her there was no need.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GirlWithANikon
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Why should she had asked if he was still on breast milk. It was a 50/50 shot and she got it wrong, oh well. Drs not suggesting it is probably not the main reason people don't breast feed. I think its 85% convenience. Its easier to mix a bottle then find a spot to sit, unhook your bra in public which is insecure to some women, mess with latching issues, fiddle with the cover that some babies don't like, it hurts sometimes if their are latching issues, feedings are more frequent ect ect ect. People don't do it because they are lazy and don't want to mostly, not because the dr asked if their child was on formula.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Dec. 4, 2011 at 4:57 PM
Yep, per the Cleveland Clinic! I believe formula was ok 6-8 hrs before and breastmilk was 3-4 hrs, as a clear liquid. Even if a little breastmilk is aspirated, the lungs can absorb it because it is human protein, unlike formula. One of the greatest benefits of breastfeeding, for me, was the day I was able to breastfeed my ds before surgery when a formula baby would have been screaming and starving.

Quoting TxMom2324:

I didn't know that. Cameron will be having surgery when he turns a year and he isn't able too fast because I'd his MCAD and that was a worry of mine.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

When my one ds had surgery around 11 months they told me no food or drink after midnight the day before surgery. I told then they were mistaken and I had read 3-4 hours before surgery for breastmilk. They have never had anyone question them about this before. They had to call downtown to the Cleveland Clinic to clarify it. You would expect the medical community to have a bit of a clue. :-(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Eh, I don't know.  Once you get the hang of it, its not that big of a deal.  When I ff my first, I would have to get the bottle, put water in it, measure the formula, shake it, take her back to bed, feed her, clean her, burp her, then I would have to lay her down.

Now, all I have to do is pick my son up, pull my shirt/nightgown up or down, pop the boob in his mouth, feed him, then put him back to bed.  I don't even have to get up if I don't want to.  If I sleep with him, its a matter of pop the boob in mouth then go back to sleep.

I can honestly say that bf is WAY easier than formula feeding any day.

They even did a study that showed that breastfeeding moms get a total of forty five minutes more sleep every night on average. 

Now, I agree there are tons of issues some women have to get through before they get to where they are bf successfully and sometimes ff is "easier" for those women.....but if they are properly mixing the formula (boiling water, etc) then chances are its not easier.

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

Why should she had asked if he was still on breast milk. It was a 50/50 shot and she got it wrong, oh well. Drs not suggesting it is probably not the main reason people don't breast feed. I think its 85% convenience. Its easier to mix a bottle then find a spot to sit, unhook your bra in public which is insecure to some women, mess with latching issues, fiddle with the cover that some babies don't like, it hurts sometimes if their are latching issues, feedings are more frequent ect ect ect. People don't do it because they are lazy and don't want to mostly, not because the dr asked if their child was on formula.

TxCheerMomGirlz
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 5:02 PM
People in the medical area here usually don't assume about formula. It bothers me though when I have family, friends, or random people ask me "how much formula does she take a day?" or "what brand of formula do you give her?"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Those who never bf and are very uncomfortable with it work everywhere.  I agree with you, but don't let it get you down. As more and more women bf, it will eventually become the "norm". 

Quoting Mrs.Rounds:

I would expect the reaction anywhere but in a hospital.. I was a little upset.

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting Mrs.Rounds:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)