Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

No wonder people around here dont breastfeed!

I took my son to the doctors office yesterday which also resulted in taking him to the ER. (turns out hes fine) but anyway, When I got to the doctors office the nurse  was looking him over and things and then says, Is he still on FORMULA!?  Umm no, actually hes still on breastmilk and has never had a drop of fomula! She SHOULD have asked if he was still on breastmilk!! If it wasnt me she was talking to,someone else could have felt they werent a good parent or felt bad because they werent using formula. Health care providers dont even encourage breastfeeding anymore, no wonder people having babies now, arent doing it!!

Then when I was at the hospital, my little mason got hungry so I fed him, not behind a closed door or a certain, but right there on the bed with just a recieving blanket to cover. Noone even noticed. Then when we were leaving (because it took us so long) he was hungry again, instead of leaving and feeding him in the car before we left, I asked the nurse if she minded me staying just another few minutes so I could feed  my son. And I proceeded to sit in the chair that was there. She said no thats fine, then she noticed I breastfeed him! She almost frantically asked "Oh do you want to sit behind the certain or move to your own room?" I unsnapped my bra and continued on and said no Im ok thank you.

This nurse really didnt know what to do! lol She literally was frantic and pulled certain closed quite fast. I just laughed at her! Then When I was finished, I walked out to leave and the nurses at the nurses station said good-bye and commented on how mason seemed to happy and content and the nurse that had closed the certain said in a whisper..Yea she just got done breastfeeding him! I could feel their eyes on me as I walked out.

Lol Its just crazy to me how people act over breastfeeding. Its a wonderful and natural thing but everyone acts as if its a shame. I am not big chested by any means so that couldnt have been the issue, I also wasnt showing anything at all. lol

by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 11:11 AM
Replies (31-40):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Dec. 4, 2011 at 5:05 PM
I think she means that people expect to get advice on health from doctors, and when doctors don't act like breastfeeding is the most normal and healthy thing to do, people start to wonder. Every day someone on here says "well my doctor told me [insert bad breastfeeding advice here] and I trust my dr because they went to medical school". Our healthcare providers are often the first to fail mothers and babies about breastfeeding.

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

Why should she had asked if he was still on breast milk. It was a 50/50 shot and she got it wrong, oh well. Drs not suggesting it is probably not the main reason people don't breast feed. I think its 85% convenience. Its easier to mix a bottle then find a spot to sit, unhook your bra in public which is insecure to some women, mess with latching issues, fiddle with the cover that some babies don't like, it hurts sometimes if their are latching issues, feedings are more frequent ect ect ect. People don't do it because they are lazy and don't want to mostly, not because the dr asked if their child was on formula.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nellyb118
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 5:07 PM
Wow, I'm glad I haven't experienced that. Our pediatrician pushed breastfeeding & at the check ups the nurses have been so pleased he's 100% bf. My ob & all the nurses in the hospital also pushed and
encouraged it. I can see it being hard & causing some moms to quit or not try when they feel they aren't doing the 'right' thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Yeah, what REALLY bugs me is my hippy momma who bf my sister and brother until they were two tells me I'm gonna bf my son "forever" because he's my last.  To her, you must bf to two then wean to a bottle.  OMG I won't even go into it with her.  It's totally not worth it to me.

She is the main reason I failed at bf my first child.  I had latching issues and of course no support (I was only 18) and she bought me this huge playtex bottle kit.  I held on for three months bf, with cracked, bleeding, and blistered painful nippes before I gave in and formula fed.  I was so depressed about it though.  I just couldn't handle the pain anymore.  I went to wic and got formula two days after I started him on formula.  They never offered a lactation consultant or anything; just gave me formula checks.

Anyhow, what bugs me in real life is when people ask if I'm still bf him.  He's 22 months old.  Wait until he's four and still bf!  We'll see how they feel about it then.  lol

Quoting TxCheerMomGirlz:

People in the medical area here usually don't assume about formula. It bothers me though when I have family, friends, or random people ask me "how much formula does she take a day?" or "what brand of formula do you give her?"

celestegood
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 5:12 PM

I think you are right.  I can't get over how many times I've heard,  "he's jaundiced, I have to ff" or "my doctor says he's not growing enough, he must be supplemented with formula" the list goes on.  Doctors can be a big hinderance to breastfeeding. 

Quoting mostlymaydays:

I think she means that people expect to get advice on health from doctors, and when doctors don't act like breastfeeding is the most normal and healthy thing to do, people start to wonder. Every day someone on here says "well my doctor told me [insert bad breastfeeding advice here] and I trust my dr because they went to medical school". Our healthcare providers are often the first to fail mothers and babies about breastfeeding.

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

Why should she had asked if he was still on breast milk. It was a 50/50 shot and she got it wrong, oh well. Drs not suggesting it is probably not the main reason people don't breast feed. I think its 85% convenience. Its easier to mix a bottle then find a spot to sit, unhook your bra in public which is insecure to some women, mess with latching issues, fiddle with the cover that some babies don't like, it hurts sometimes if their are latching issues, feedings are more frequent ect ect ect. People don't do it because they are lazy and don't want to mostly, not because the dr asked if their child was on formula.

TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Dec. 4, 2011 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I am blessed to live in a community that where "crunchy" (natural) is the norm. . . Whenever I go back to the midwest to visit, though, I am that much more irritated at the comments and looks- because I know that it doesn't have to be that way. lol on the bright side, when I am home, there is something truly wonderful about sitting next to a friend somewhere (anywhere), while both of you casually lift your shirts and latch on your children :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Dec. 4, 2011 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, the very people who should be facilitating it and teaching it as a health measure, are often the very first ones who undermine a mom's best efforts. Can you imagine if all drs were educated and passionate about breastfeeding, what a difference that would make?!? It's no surprise to me that by 6 months most moms aren't breastfeeding anymore. Very few women just up and quit for the heck of it; it's always because a dr says the baby isn't gaining, has allergies to cow protein in moms milk, reflux so baby "needs thickened formula", "lactose intolerance" so needs soy formula, "no longer any nutrition in breastmilk", etc etc. :-(

Quoting celestegood:

I think you are right.  I can't get over how many times I've heard,  "he's jaundiced, I have to ff" or "my doctor says he's not growing enough, he must be supplemented with formula" the list goes on.  Doctors can be a big hinderance to breastfeeding. 

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Dec. 4, 2011 at 5:22 PM
Where are you, Washington, Oregon? In Ohio, i swear if you breastfeed past 6 months you become part of a secret society. Past a year? Past 2?!? Totally underground!

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

I am blessed to live in a community that where "crunchy" (natural) is the norm. . . Whenever I go back to the midwest to visit, though, I am that much more irritated at the comments and looks- because I know that it doesn't have to be that way. lol on the bright side, when I am home, there is something truly wonderful about sitting next to a friend somewhere (anywhere), while both of you casually lift your shirts and latch on your children :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Dec. 4, 2011 at 5:24 PM
Yay for nursing anywhere - church services included! :) Lol I have nursed at least 1 of my 3 kids during service almost every week for going on 5 years now.

Quoting Razzle_Dazzle1:

My older sister and I and I both talked very young and, once when I was about 8 months old I came up to my mother at church and said "Boo boo mama!" and some guy heard and told my mother "If she's old enough to ask for it then she's too old for it." My mother replied "Just because she is smart doesn't mean that her nutritional needs have changed. You can criticize my parenting when your three year old isn't running around with a baby bottle." When my baby was first born, we went to my mother's new church and I asked the pastor's wife if there was somewhere i could go to nurse, because I thought that people in the church might have a problem with it, and she told me to go ahead and nurse her in the santuary. If anyone had a problem she would tell them to get over it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Dec. 4, 2011 at 5:29 PM
Lol yeah, I'm in nw washington. Hippy central, if you ask my husband, but I love that no one even blinks at things like breastfeeding (past toddlerhood), bed sharing, attachment parenting, etc. I grew up in MN, and have found some people the (including family) who are horrified by most of my parenting choices.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Where are you, Washington, Oregon? In Ohio, i swear if you breastfeed past 6 months you become part of a secret society. Past a year? Past 2?!? Totally underground!

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JealousGrrl
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Wow...I can't believe this.  Whenever I am NIPing nobody notices or even cares.  I have not encountered any negativity at all.  I feel terrible for the ladies that have to deal with this kind of garbage....

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN