Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

No wonder people around here dont breastfeed!

I took my son to the doctors office yesterday which also resulted in taking him to the ER. (turns out hes fine) but anyway, When I got to the doctors office the nurse  was looking him over and things and then says, Is he still on FORMULA!?  Umm no, actually hes still on breastmilk and has never had a drop of fomula! She SHOULD have asked if he was still on breastmilk!! If it wasnt me she was talking to,someone else could have felt they werent a good parent or felt bad because they werent using formula. Health care providers dont even encourage breastfeeding anymore, no wonder people having babies now, arent doing it!!

Then when I was at the hospital, my little mason got hungry so I fed him, not behind a closed door or a certain, but right there on the bed with just a recieving blanket to cover. Noone even noticed. Then when we were leaving (because it took us so long) he was hungry again, instead of leaving and feeding him in the car before we left, I asked the nurse if she minded me staying just another few minutes so I could feed  my son. And I proceeded to sit in the chair that was there. She said no thats fine, then she noticed I breastfeed him! She almost frantically asked "Oh do you want to sit behind the certain or move to your own room?" I unsnapped my bra and continued on and said no Im ok thank you.

This nurse really didnt know what to do! lol She literally was frantic and pulled certain closed quite fast. I just laughed at her! Then When I was finished, I walked out to leave and the nurses at the nurses station said good-bye and commented on how mason seemed to happy and content and the nurse that had closed the certain said in a whisper..Yea she just got done breastfeeding him! I could feel their eyes on me as I walked out.

Lol Its just crazy to me how people act over breastfeeding. Its a wonderful and natural thing but everyone acts as if its a shame. I am not big chested by any means so that couldnt have been the issue, I also wasnt showing anything at all. lol

by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 11:11 AM
Replies (41-50):
EthansMomma129
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 5:39 PM
Ive never had any issues with people. The er doctors actually commended me for breastfeeding the twins over and ovee again how great it is. Their pediatrician isnt that informed in breastfeeding but shes excellent in every other aspect. I feed there all the time. Im not shy but i do cover just out of respect for other people
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Dec. 4, 2011 at 5:46 PM
My 4 kids have all slept in my bed (2 in there now), my nursling is 28 months, and when I go out wearing a baby in the sling, people's eyes grow and their heads snap as I walk past, like I've got 2 heads or something. And my last 2 babies were waterbirths, and I still haven't told my own mother about that!

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

Lol yeah, I'm in nw washington. Hippy central, if you ask my husband, but I love that no one even blinks at things like breastfeeding (past toddlerhood), bed sharing, attachment parenting, etc. I grew up in MN, and have found some people the (including family) who are horrified by most of my parenting choices.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Where are you, Washington, Oregon? In Ohio, i swear if you breastfeed past 6 months you become part of a secret society. Past a year? Past 2?!? Totally underground!

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

I am blessed to live in a community that where "crunchy" (natural) is the norm. . . Whenever I go back to the midwest to visit, though, I am that much more irritated at the comments and looks- because I know that it doesn't have to be that way. lol on the bright side, when I am home, there is something truly wonderful about sitting next to a friend somewhere (anywhere), while both of you casually lift your shirts and latch on your children :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lorsmommy08
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 5:57 PM

lol, I actually had my MIL appologize to me last week because my 4 year old still prefers to sleep with me and my almost 4month old is added in now and my 2 year old always comes in after daddy goes to work at 1am(he sleeps w/ her at night usually). I told her it wasn't a big deal. When Lorelai is ready she'll go into her bed on her own just fine, haha. THey actually offered me a cot to put by my bed. I told them there's no room in my room because Aedan's crib is also in there along with his dresser(its a 2 br house).

Quoting mostlymaydays:

My 4 kids have all slept in my bed (2 in there now), my nursling is 28 months, and when I go out wearing a baby in the sling, people's eyes grow and their heads snap as I walk past, like I've got 2 heads or something. And my last 2 babies were waterbirths, and I still haven't told my own mother about that!

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

Lol yeah, I'm in nw washington. Hippy central, if you ask my husband, but I love that no one even blinks at things like breastfeeding (past toddlerhood), bed sharing, attachment parenting, etc. I grew up in MN, and have found some people the (including family) who are horrified by most of my parenting choices.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Where are you, Washington, Oregon? In Ohio, i swear if you breastfeed past 6 months you become part of a secret society. Past a year? Past 2?!? Totally underground!

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

I am blessed to live in a community that where "crunchy" (natural) is the norm. . . Whenever I go back to the midwest to visit, though, I am that much more irritated at the comments and looks- because I know that it doesn't have to be that way. lol on the bright side, when I am home, there is something truly wonderful about sitting next to a friend somewhere (anywhere), while both of you casually lift your shirts and latch on your children :)

cassnadrajones
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Sorry but the way you treated her was really mean. Why would you laugh at someone who showed you kindness? 

tsk tsk

kitty8199
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 6:35 PM
I was told to supplement bc she didnt pee. They told me to keep supplementing. I did about a month, then said screw this. No issues. They asked if I was still supplementing every visit, like I needed and was told the virgin gut was outdated. I found a new dr.

Quoting celestegood:

I think you are right.  I can't get over how many times I've heard,  "he's jaundiced, I have to ff" or "my doctor says he's not growing enough, he must be supplemented with formula" the list goes on.  Doctors can be a big hinderance to breastfeeding. 

Quoting mostlymaydays:

I think she means that people expect to get advice on health from doctors, and when doctors don't act like breastfeeding is the most normal and healthy thing to do, people start to wonder. Every day someone on here says "well my doctor told me [insert bad breastfeeding advice here] and I trust my dr because they went to medical school". Our healthcare providers are often the first to fail mothers and babies about breastfeeding.

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

Why should she had asked if he was still on breast milk. It was a 50/50 shot and she got it wrong, oh well. Drs not suggesting it is probably not the main reason people don't breast feed. I think its 85% convenience. Its easier to mix a bottle then find a spot to sit, unhook your bra in public which is insecure to some women, mess with latching issues, fiddle with the cover that some babies don't like, it hurts sometimes if their are latching issues, feedings are more frequent ect ect ect. People don't do it because they are lazy and don't want to mostly, not because the dr asked if their child was on formula.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hilda_J
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Where I live in North Carolina I started breast feeding in public. You would have thought I had a third eye or something. We was living in a small town but still. Its 2011 people , I am sure someone has seen a breast at some point. And if not its time to educate your self or your children . That isn't my job !! But since moving back to New York no one even looks , or takes a sneak peek . So its been a better experience with nursing Tru in public. 

TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Dec. 4, 2011 at 6:53 PM
I do get a lot of comments when I wear my youngest, but they're along the lines of "isn't carrying babies so nice and close just wonderful?" Lol. . . Again, that's here. When I'm in MN, it's more along the lines of "wouldn't a stroller be more comfortable?" Or "what IS that thing?" (moby) lol

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this

You see, if your diapers get so low that your child won't pee, then you should supplement.  However,  you should keep your child at the breast and use a Supplemental Nursing System to work getting your supply up.  Formula can be used, but I rarely hear a doctor suggesting one of these. 

Any doctor who is an obgyn or a pediatrician should have a lactation consultant (a good one) working for them.

Quoting kitty8199:

I was told to supplement bc she didnt pee. They told me to keep supplementing. I did about a month, then said screw this. No issues. They asked if I was still supplementing every visit, like I needed and was told the virgin gut was outdated. I found a new dr.

Quoting celestegood:

I think you are right.  I can't get over how many times I've heard,  "he's jaundiced, I have to ff" or "my doctor says he's not growing enough, he must be supplemented with formula" the list goes on.  Doctors can be a big hinderance to breastfeeding. 

Quoting mostlymaydays:

I think she means that people expect to get advice on health from doctors, and when doctors don't act like breastfeeding is the most normal and healthy thing to do, people start to wonder. Every day someone on here says "well my doctor told me [insert bad breastfeeding advice here] and I trust my dr because they went to medical school". Our healthcare providers are often the first to fail mothers and babies about breastfeeding.

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

Why should she had asked if he was still on breast milk. It was a 50/50 shot and she got it wrong, oh well. Drs not suggesting it is probably not the main reason people don't breast feed. I think its 85% convenience. Its easier to mix a bottle then find a spot to sit, unhook your bra in public which is insecure to some women, mess with latching issues, fiddle with the cover that some babies don't like, it hurts sometimes if their are latching issues, feedings are more frequent ect ect ect. People don't do it because they are lazy and don't want to mostly, not because the dr asked if their child was on formula.

celestegood
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 7:37 PM

LOL yeah, my kids all slept in bed with dh and I until they turned almost six.  It is ok and works out great for us!  They go to their own bed just fine when they are ready. 

Quoting lorsmommy08:

lol, I actually had my MIL appologize to me last week because my 4 year old still prefers to sleep with me and my almost 4month old is added in now and my 2 year old always comes in after daddy goes to work at 1am(he sleeps w/ her at night usually). I told her it wasn't a big deal. When Lorelai is ready she'll go into her bed on her own just fine, haha. THey actually offered me a cot to put by my bed. I told them there's no room in my room because Aedan's crib is also in there along with his dresser(its a 2 br house).

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

ilovecandy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 7:39 PM

when I was in the ER once the nurses and doctor recommended to me to close the curtain because there was someone there who was registered and well, they wanted me to be safe in other words.

But yeah, sometimes they are interesting when it comes to BF'ing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN