Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No wonder people around here dont breastfeed!

I took my son to the doctors office yesterday which also resulted in taking him to the ER. (turns out hes fine) but anyway, When I got to the doctors office the nurse  was looking him over and things and then says, Is he still on FORMULA!?  Umm no, actually hes still on breastmilk and has never had a drop of fomula! She SHOULD have asked if he was still on breastmilk!! If it wasnt me she was talking to,someone else could have felt they werent a good parent or felt bad because they werent using formula. Health care providers dont even encourage breastfeeding anymore, no wonder people having babies now, arent doing it!!

Then when I was at the hospital, my little mason got hungry so I fed him, not behind a closed door or a certain, but right there on the bed with just a recieving blanket to cover. Noone even noticed. Then when we were leaving (because it took us so long) he was hungry again, instead of leaving and feeding him in the car before we left, I asked the nurse if she minded me staying just another few minutes so I could feed  my son. And I proceeded to sit in the chair that was there. She said no thats fine, then she noticed I breastfeed him! She almost frantically asked "Oh do you want to sit behind the certain or move to your own room?" I unsnapped my bra and continued on and said no Im ok thank you.

This nurse really didnt know what to do! lol She literally was frantic and pulled certain closed quite fast. I just laughed at her! Then When I was finished, I walked out to leave and the nurses at the nurses station said good-bye and commented on how mason seemed to happy and content and the nurse that had closed the certain said in a whisper..Yea she just got done breastfeeding him! I could feel their eyes on me as I walked out.

Lol Its just crazy to me how people act over breastfeeding. Its a wonderful and natural thing but everyone acts as if its a shame. I am not big chested by any means so that couldnt have been the issue, I also wasnt showing anything at all. lol

by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 11:11 AM
Replies (81-90):
LandonsMom1114
by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 11:32 AM

I understand its just a question. My point is, that if more health care providers would be a little more open and supportive about nursing, im sure more mothers would feel comfortable about it.  

Quoting LyTe684:

Umm.. my daughters ped asks the same question... I still BF her.. It's just a question............

LandonsMom1114
by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 11:37 AM

I am also a young mother. Im 22 and a mother of 2. Many people my age who are having children dont even attempt to breastfeed because "It hurts", "My doctor told me I couldnt because of (whatever reason)". I really wish we had a young nursing moms ( or something similar) around here. That way mothers who want to learn more or have a support team, and those who may be shy would have someone to turn to if they needed it.

Quoting BambiF:

Yep i'm in canada and never have issues...well rarely lol.  Im a young mom so all the moms i associate with are 19-23 and can only think of 2 that use/used formula...and like 15 that breastfeed.  There's alot of support up here, well in my area anyway it is definitely the norm to bf.

Quoting LandonsMom1114:

Soe places are really good about it, like Canada, My grandmoter lives there and when we went to visit, not one person had a question about where the bottle was or using formula, they all assumed I was breastfeeding. I was so happy that I didnt have to correct anyone and conversations just went so smoothly. It wasnt out of the norm. to anyone there. Where I live, I dont think I know one person who nurses or has nursed. Not even the other women in the family (my husbands side) None of them even "tried" to nurse but found a reason why they couldnt.

slinkerpon11
by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 11:47 AM
There was a story on the news here in Nashville a few months ago about a mother asked to leave a public pool for BF because she was 'distracting people'
Some people forget that not even a hundred years ago right here in America BF is what you did to feed your baby and they only had cloth diapers! I can't stand it when people look at me like I'm doing something wrong while feeding my child. I don't give other mothers dirty looks for giving their babies formula. And we shouldn't feel like we should have to hide in a car or bathroom.
And about the doctors...every time I take my son they always ask how much formula he drinks, sometimes I question how well the nurses do their job when they can't read a chart. I had one nurse call my daughter 'he' and 'him' after rectally checking her temp. Lol
lVargas0588
by Member on Dec. 6, 2011 at 12:11 PM

THATS CRAZY, BUT THATS HOW SOME PEOPLE ARE. ME ON THE OTHER HAND ALWAYS GET POSATIVE RESPONDS. MY DOCTOR AND MY BABY'S DOCTOR ARE ALWAYS HAPPY TO HEAR THAT I AM STILL  BREAST FEADING. WHEN I WENT TO THE ER THE DOCTOR SAID I LOVE MOTHERS THAT BREASTFEED! I HAVE NOT YET GOT A NEG RESPONCE. NOT SAYING I WON'T , JUST NOT YET. BUT I DONT CARE I HAVE NO SHAME TO BREASTFEED ANYWHERE. LOL

lVargas0588
by Member on Dec. 6, 2011 at 12:15 PM

THAT IS SO TRUE. I AM 23 AND MOST MOMS I KNOW THAT BREASTFEED ARE OLDER. ALL OF MY FRIENDS THAT HAD BABYS BEFOR ME GAVE THEIR KIDS FORMULA. WHEN I WAS PREGO MY CLINIC HAD ALL THESE CLASSES TO HELP AND GIVE YOU ADVICE ON BREASTFEADING AND ALL TYPES OF OTHER STUFF. IF I WOULD HAVE NOT GOT THE HELP AND ADVICE I THINK I WOULD HAVE USED FORMULA TOO. 

becca1986
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 8:55 PM

i wa at the my sons 12 month check up and she goes so how is he doing on whole milk and i tell her oh no hes still breastfeeding i thought id get a oh thats great but instead she looks at me with this sad look on her face and says why..well my son is allergic to cows milk protein in formulas which was right there inher file. but yeah i know how ya feel! and im in ca!

Colleen86
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 8:57 PM

people are hilarious! lol but also soo dumb.

aimhawk
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Most of them were probably breastfed, especially the older ones.

hempmommy87
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 9:09 PM

I had a nurse roll her eyes and look away when I was nursing my ds. She insisted I get a room even though I was fine nursing in the waiting area. She is a b**ch anyway...long story lol

MamaBloom777
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Geez....where do you live?  Its not like that here at all (I'm in Asheville, NC) and as a matter of fact...our hospital went from being pro-formula & handing it out by the ton when you had a kid to being pro-breastfeeding & no longer giving out formula samples.  I was so glad.  Not that there's anything wrong with people choosing formula, but I'm happy I live somewhere that breastfeeding is not only accepted widely, but promoted!  Woohoo!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)