Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

bf and periods

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 2:19 AM
  • 10 Replies

ok so i have been ebf for 8.5 months and when my child was probley about i'd say 5 months i had my first period since delivory and it was normal but i have not recieved one since i have take many test to make sure im not pregnant and it always come back negative so i dont  know if thats normal or what help please

by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 2:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 2, 2012 at 2:21 AM
Normal. Post partum hormones during breastfeeding are really whacky and unpredictable. You can buy pregnancy trip tests online, like amazon, for $10 for 25 or more. I test every 3 weeks while I have no af to go by.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babydenton12
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 2:22 AM
I thought it took awhile for your period to regulate because of BF causing the uterus to contract a lot. I personally don't know but friends of mine have told me bout theirs being off a lot because of BF.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 2, 2012 at 2:27 AM
Breastfeeding causes estrogen to be suppressed. Until you hit the estrogen threshold your cycles will be delayed or irregular. You might have af, *almost* have af the next month but not enough estrogen, etc. Some women get af at 6 weeks while breastfeeding, some not until 24 months or more postpartum. Some get clockwork 28 day cycles for the first time, some get 35 day cycles one month followed by a 19 day cycle, then a 52 day cycle, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessicac3656
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 2:31 AM

idk i am jus scared cuz i didnt know what was going on cuz i heard of not having one until 6 months but i didnt know about longer

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 2, 2012 at 2:32 AM
Breastfeeding does release oxytocin which causes the uterus to contract and shrink back up quickly, but that particular nuance isn't related to the return of estrogen and periods. That cramping doesnt usually happen for very long at all, only a few days for me, worse with each baby. Some women have more estrogen, stored in body fat or through regular hormonal production, and they'll get af sooner.

Quoting babydenton12:

I thought it took awhile for your period to regulate because of BF causing the uterus to contract a lot. I personally don't know but friends of mine have told me bout theirs being off a lot because of BF.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 2, 2012 at 2:34 AM
1 mom liked this
I just got my first af a couple months ago, when my dd was 26 months. And she's only nursing 1 to 3 times a day. It has taken me that long to muster up enough estrogen to finally have af.

Quoting jessicac3656:

idk i am jus scared cuz i didnt know what was going on cuz i heard of not having one until 6 months but i didnt know about longer

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessicac3656
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 2:42 AM

wow ok thank u so much now i feel better

jessicac3656
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 2:42 AM

BUMP!

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 2, 2012 at 3:07 AM
The earliest I ever got af was 16 months (a month after my first weaned.) with my second, 25 months (a month after weaning), my third at 20 months while still nursing and now my 4th at 26 months while nursing.

Quoting jessicac3656:

wow ok thank u so much now i feel better

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 2, 2012 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

ALL return dates for your period are normal. We've known women to get it at six weeks, and to get it at two years. And longer!

You're normal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)