Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working out question....

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:17 AM
  • 9 Replies

How long after my milk comes in should I wait to start working out, like running a couple times a week working out? I dont want to jeopardize my supply but I want to get my body back in shape after baby comes since this is our last. I heard 2 months is when you can start working out. Thanks in advance ladies!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
larissalarie
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:23 AM
Exercise & supply are two very different things. If you feel ok to exercise, go for it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:04 AM
Not till after your care provider gives you the ok, usually 6 weeks. Its more of a precation for healing after birth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Piglet99
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:36 AM

I asked the lactation consultant before leaving the hospital before leaving and her response was that exercising doesn't typically hurt your milk supply, but it can cause lactic acid, which may affect taste and therefore the baby may not nurse as often, which will then decrease the milk supply. I asked because my sister-in-law, went back to exercising and feels her milk has decreased since increasing her workout.

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:51 AM
That lc is wrong. What causes baby to not want to nurse is the taste of sweat on the skin. Exercise has no effect on milk or supply.

Quoting Piglet99:

I asked the lactation consultant before leaving the hospital before leaving and her response was that exercising doesn't typically hurt your milk supply, but it can cause lactic acid, which may affect taste and therefore the baby may not nurse as often, which will then decrease the milk supply. I asked because my sister-in-law, went back to exercising and feels her milk has decreased since increasing her workout.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ConnorMom228
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:46 AM
As long as you stay hydrated and wear a very supportive sports bra, everything will be fine :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Actually, Nicolle, the LC was correct in warning about this as a potential problem. SOME women experience a problem with lactic acid in the milk. We've seen it here occasionally. But two runs a week is not likely to cause the problem.

Quoting Nicolle_09:

That lc is wrong. What causes baby to not want to nurse is the taste of sweat on the skin. Exercise has no effect on milk or supply.

Quoting Piglet99:

collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:26 PM
I agree with staying hydrated.

Wearing a bra is up to you. I would not wear a sports bra in the first few months after baby - it can easily cause clogged ducts, just like wearing an underwire can cause them.

Quoting ConnorMom228:

As long as you stay hydrated and wear a very supportive sports bra, everything will be fine :-)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ConnorMom228
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:00 PM
Not sports bra ALL the time. I mean WHILE working out. The bouncing would really hurt without one.

Quoting collinsmommy0:

I agree with staying hydrated.

Wearing a bra is up to you. I would not wear a sports bra in the first few months after baby - it can easily cause clogged ducts, just like wearing an underwire can cause them.

Quoting ConnorMom228:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goincrazymom
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Thanks ladies! Im not due till June and dont really plan on working out till September but may want to start before then. This is our last baby so Im ready to get my body back, but I dont want to jeopardize my milk or breastfeeding at all. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)