Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bottle Advice

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:06 AM
  • 13 Replies

Does anyone have any advice on what type of bottle to get for switching between bottle feeding and breastfeeding? I got one, but it's painful for me. My little man has a tendency to chew on my nipple after being fed with the bottle. I'm hoping to find one that will keep the latch ok going back and forth. I'll be going back to work so he will have to be fed by bottle. One I am looking at is the Tommie Tippie, does anyone have any experience with it? Thanks.

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JadedFaerie
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:12 AM

I prefer Avent slow flow to be honest, we have no problems switching back and forth.

truelyred2
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:30 AM
First years breast flow. My baby was a 7w preemie and was in nicu 17days. I was not allowed to put her to breast at all while in there. When she came home they had her on super easy suck super fast flow nipples. Needless to say she wouldn't latch at all. Weslowly switched her to these bottles and now she nurses like a champ! They have a double nipple design which mimics the mouth action on the breast. I recommend these bottles to everyone!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:34 AM
For the rare occasions that we gave her a bottle it was either First Years Breastflow or Playtex Drop ins with the slow flow nipples.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
McM0609
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:38 AM
My son hates those bottles so we switched too Avent I have no problem switching from breast to bottle.

Quoting truelyred2:

First years breast flow. My baby was a 7w preemie and was in nicu 17days. I was not allowed to put her to breast at all while in there. When she came home they had her on super easy suck super fast flow nipples. Needless to say she wouldn't latch at all. Weslowly switched her to these bottles and now she nurses like a champ! They have a double nipple design which mimics the mouth action on the breast. I recommend these bottles to everyone!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:46 PM

When they chew, it's not a matter of switching bottles. They will chew with ALL botles if they're prone to it.. because the bottle doesn't tell them to knock it off. **grin**

Nursing manners. Chewing stops the feeding. Unlatch, tell baby no, relatch. Repeat up to three times. Third strike, feeding is over for five minutes.

Stevensmomma
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

When they chew, it's not a matter of switching bottles. They will chew with ALL botles if they're prone to it.. because the bottle doesn't tell them to knock it off. **grin**

Nursing manners. Chewing stops the feeding. Unlatch, tell baby no, relatch. Repeat up to three times. Third strike, feeding is over for five minutes.

This I have heard this from other moms 

Piglet99
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Thanks I will try that. I currently am using the Playtex Ventaire with a wide nipple. Thanks everyone.

Gruntlings
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 4:44 PM

The Tippies or the Breastflow seems to be the best bet. But like gdiamante said, no bottle tells them to knock it off or unlatches them when they bite it. :)

How old is your LO?  Are you feeding the baby with bottles or are you in the room when baby gets a bottle?

Piglet99
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 6:30 PM

My LO is 1 1/2 mos. I have on occassion fed with bottles, sometimes I was in the room others I was elsewhere pumping. We are on hiatus from using bottles currently because of the issues with the biting down because it is painful for me and I think would deter me from continuing breastfeeding. Which I don't want to do.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jan. 16, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Quoting Gruntlings:

The Tippies or the Breastflow seems to be the best bet. But like gdiamante said, no bottle tells them to knock it off or unlatches them when they bite it. :)

How old is your LO?  Are you feeding the baby with bottles or are you in the room when baby gets a bottle?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)