• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Gain Question

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:12 AM
  • 7 Replies
Yesterday Tori had her 2 month appointment. She is 10 weeks old, has grown 2.5 inches and gained 2 lbs 15 oz from lowest birth weight. She was 8lbs 5oz at birth (I had an epidural) and quickly lost to 7lbs 5oz. She had high biliruben levels for the first 2 weeks. She was induced 3 weeks early due to pre-ecclampsia.
So, she's gaining on average 4.7oz/week. She's 85th percentile for height and 25th percentile for weight (DH is 6'3" and skinny). Her doctor didn't bat an eye so I guess I shouldn't either, but I was just wondering if that was enough. She has plenty of wet dipes, but I don't see at this rate how she's going to double her birth weight by 3-4 months, per kellymom. She is liptied, but has a great latch despite that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ConnorMom228
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:05 AM
1 pound a month on average is normal. Some gain less, some more. Also, look up the WHO growth charts for breastfed babies. Ds didn't double his weight until 8 months old. Doubling by 3-4 months is pretty ambitious
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sofia0587
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:46 AM
I agree, my dd is 8months and has gained 1lb per month.

Quoting ConnorMom228:

1 pound a month on average is normal. Some gain less, some more. Also, look up the WHO growth charts for breastfed babies. Ds didn't double his weight until 8 months old. Doubling by 3-4 months is pretty ambitious
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:32 AM
Doubling weight by 4-6 months is the norm. 25th percentile is great, no worries mama! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CMcLaws
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:23 PM
Thank you, ladies! :-) I feel a lot better now!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:30 PM

PERFECT.  No messing with it. Carry on. She does not need to double by four months... six months is more of the expected target. (That's one place where kellymom differs with other experts.)

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:04 PM

4-7 oz a week is the norm...your LO is doing perfect!!

6 months is when we expect doubling birthweight...rarely do we see double by 3-4 months

PEEK05
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:06 PM

That's more than enough.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)