Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how dangerous is 104.2 temp for a 13 month old? JAN 17 update in pink

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:43 AM
  • 41 Replies

i would like factual evidence please. i'm not one to shove tylenol at my kids everytime they have a cold. in fact between the two of them i think i've given tylenol less than 5 times in the last 13 months, and that was before we decided to try home remedies and stay away from tylenol and all that. all that aside, i really dont want to start a vax/no vax type of debate, i am genuinely looking for answers PLEASE

my oldest is 13 months old and has a temp of 104.2 i took it with a temporal and i took it three times. i know it's worse at night so i'm keeping that in mind. the girls both had roseolovirus in october and i nursed them through just fine w/out meds, but the highest fever either of them got then was 103.4 so 104.2 is a whole new thing for me.

we took them both to the doc last night, dd1 (the one with the temp) had a temp of 102.2 and tested negative for strep. they did a cbc and they said her iron was just a touch low so she is slightly anemic but that it was fine (she's also about 80% breastfed) they said her white blood count was a little bit low but that it would be normal when she's sick.

i have 7 cancers in my family, i could read a cbc w/ diff upside down & backwards but i can't freaking BELIEVE i forgot to ask for a copy, but i guess the mind slips when your kid pukes all over your dh :P

dd1 & dd2 both have slight coughs, dd2 sounds like she lost her voice (when crying, neither have wanted to 'talk' a whole bunch last few days), both puking, both a little less interested in table food (both also cutting first molars) but dd1 was SUPER lethargic yesterday, thats actually what made us bring her to the doc. doc said no dehydration because they both gave up pretty big fights about getting checked. both had fevers last couple days, dd2 highest was 102.6 but has been gone for about 30 hrs now.

they didnt check dd2 for strep and did not do a cbc. doc said dd2's throat was not near as irritated as dd1 and she said dd1's wasn't horrible.

i just don't know. dd2 seems better during the day, with no fever now and definitely more bouncy. dd1 started getting sick about a day later than dd2 so maybe she'll get better a day later as well?

i gave dd1 0.8mL tylenol at 1am for her 104.2 temp. 2am it was 103.2. it's now 2:30am and it's back up to 103.6

how dangerous is this temp? obviously it's closer to death than a 100.0 temp but i mean, other than it being close, her organs will still work at 104 right? what should i expect from the tylenol? is a 0.6 lower temp normal after 90 minutes? should it be lower than that by now, and why did it go back up?

this fever seems to be putting up a pretty big fight. it's gotten progressively higher over the last few days. i just don't want to wake up to only one baby jumping in her crib :(

i have 100% trust that my bm can work wonders, but is it foolish of me to give such high hopes to everything working itself out? we literally live right up the hill from the hospital so if dd1 needs to go, we could be there in like 3 minutes. i just dont want to take her there for no reason. plus dd2 still needs to nurse back to sleep. dh is here and said he would walk her and put her in the swing if she needed. it's not that i don't wanna go through the trouble, i'm literally trying to figure out what's best here, for everyone, but mainly dd1.

she just woke up to nurse and nursed a lot. oh thats another thing. shes been nursing a LOT lately so she's staying well hydrated and getting those antibodies :)

could this be menengitis? how would i know? would that have shown up on her cbc? if she did have menengitis, the white blood count would have been high right? and hers was "a tiny bit low, but she's sick so that's to be expected"

at the girls 9 month check up they were still 100% EBF and their iron was "perfect" 12.2 and now dd1's is 10.6 does that have anything to do with this sickness?

gah, sorry so long. trying to get answers and also distract myself to stop worrying. THANK YOU X 2347823840238402834 FOR ANYONE WHO ANSWERS

Jan 14
12am - 102.6
1am - 101.0
11am - 99.9
10pm - 101.6
Jan 15
12am - 102.8
1am - 104.2 *0.8 mL tylenol given
2am 102.2
215am - 103.2
230am - 103.6
3am - 102.6
330am - 102.7
4am - 101.3
430am - 100.6
5am - 101.8
715am - 102.2
1015am - 101.8
2pm - 102.8
230pm - 101.8
330pm - 102.9
430pm - 101.4
445pm - 102.0
740pm - 101.6
830pm - 103.2 *tylenol
930pm 102.4
1030pm - 102.1
1045pm - 102.4
Jan 16
12am - 103.9
1230am - 104.0 *tylenol
4am - 99.9
4pm - 98.9
9pm - 100.2
930pm - 98.6
1030pm - 99.8
1130pm 99.0
Jan 17
1am - 99.2
1030am - 99.8
12pm - 98.6

330am: she was doing good but is now having trouble sleeping. don't have motrin. all i have is tylenol. would any of you think it necessary to go get motrin to stay on top of fever all night, or just wait til i can give tylenol again? fever is going down, i'm just not used to giving meds so i'm not sure if they're working properly/efficiently

4am: we might take her to doc again in the morning but for right now, fever seems to be going down to a more managable level. hoping to wait it out a few more hours, try to get both girls some solid hours of sleep, maybe catch a few hours ourselves, see if we can get dd1 (and dd2 of course) to eat some good breakfast, then take her in. trying to keep things as normal as possible to keep them both comfortable. and tylenol seems to be working for now. gonna stay up a little while longer and get one final temp check before i go to bed. thanks all for advice so far! THANK YOU all so very much!

430am: still waking up every 45 mins or so. it's tough cuz right before she got sick she was teething hardcore so it's hard to know what's causing her to wake. but she's just kinda moaning just like when she was teething. her temp is now only 100.6 so i'm going to bed for a few hours. or until she needs me again :) thanks again all!

Jan 17 @ 3pm PST: Updated with the rest of her temps above ^ Figured people were getting pretty intense with thoughts/comments so I wanted to follow through & show everyone she's getting better :) Coughing is getting intense but no more puking so far today (cross your fingers) Both dd1 & dd2 seem to be in pain after coughing so dealing with sore throats now. Both girls ate lots for breakfast and seemed very happy til dh left for work :/ I want to say thank you again to everyone for help. Again, i know this isn't necessarily a bf post but i trust you guys the most :) I will try to keep posts like these in other groups from now on though, sorry if it annoyed anyone :/ Can't say thank you enough for the distraction during the hour after I gave her tylenol the first time. I'm a first time mama and this is the first time they've been sick like this other than roseola in october which was a breeze compared to this!

*ALSO I wanted to let everyone know that i was misinformed on her "lethargy" i described symptoms to my mom over the phone and she called it lethargy. not blaming mom, but i looked into it and she in fact was not lethargic, but just taking it really easy. and this is her first sickness and first fever this high so it doesn't surprise me that she layed down and rested so much. it wasn't that she was unresponsive or anything, it was that i was keeping dd2 in the other room with me to let dd1 sleep. so no lethargy yay!!! :)

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twinsmom12110
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:47 AM

and what is this i keep reading about febrile seizures? how do i help her if she has one, like if she's in my arms, what would procedure be? obviously call 911 but what do i do right at the moment if this were to happen? and is she at a huge risk of this happening at 103/4 temp?

CMcLaws
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:53 AM
I have no idea to most of your questions, but my oldest would spike random 104 fevers all the time when she was little. No one could ever figure out why.
To get them down we alternated motrin and tylenol, and I washed her down with a cold washcloth every 10 minutes. Usually her fever would go down quickly to about 100 within an hour.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moroccanmommy
by Robin on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:54 AM
6 moms liked this
It is dangerous for anyone to have such a high temp. Give fever reducer now. .Seizures can happen...ur baby is byrning up..
honestly..noone here is a medical dr...why waste time on cm with all this. Kinda pisses me off u writing a book as ur child burns up. *sigh*A montitored fever under 101 in my opinion does not need reducer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bella_grace
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I would call the hospital and ask. Talk to a nurse and get their opinion. It is better to waste a trip than wonder what if.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Different children react differently to fevers.  Some have seizures at 101 (I have a friend, whose child does this).  So a fever of 101 for him IS dangerous.  Some children tend to run higher fevers when they are sick.

The fever isn't really the concern.  It is How is your child behaving??  Are they in pain, are they listless, are they having a seizure?  From your description, she sounds like she is fine - nursing and sleeping.  I would base my concern off of her behavior!

My son recently ran a fever of at least 104 (I don't remember how high it got).  I have never seen him SO hot.  He is 4 years old.  He moaned in his sleep and we tried to cool him down with a cool cloth (not cold - you can make the fever worse).  But other then that, he was fine.  We did take him to the doctor the next morning and the doctor wasn't concerned at all.  Said we handled it right and he just is fighting a high fever with this illness.  That's how his body responded.

mama_grizz
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:59 AM
Personally I'd see a doctor for anything over 102 that won't go down. Seizures are a risk and can be really negative for development. Breastmilk is great but it's not a fever reducer or a cure all, and some things NEED medical attention.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twinsmom12110
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:59 AM

i gave her tylenol, nursed her to sleep, put her in her crib, got everything ready and THEN posted this. it's not like she's screaming for help and i'm playing farmville or something, so......

Quoting moroccanmommy:

It is dangerous for anyone to have such a high temp. Give fever reducer now. .Seizures can happen...ur baby is byrning up..
honestly..noone here is a medical dr...why waste time on cm with all this. Kinda pisses me off u writing a book as ur child burns up. *sigh*A montitored fever under 101 in my opinion does not need reducer.

twinsmom12110
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:01 AM

see that's what i'm not sure on. i guess what i meant to ask was how long do i wait to see if it goes down before i can call it ok to go to bed (not that i'm in a hurry) but in an hour, it did go down but it also went back up. i don't give tylenol so i'm just not quite sure if what happened counts as 'it's working' or not, ya know?

Quoting mama_grizz:

Personally I'd see a doctor for anything over 102 that won't go down. Seizures are a risk and can be really negative for development. Breastmilk is great but it's not a fever reducer or a cure all, and some things NEED medical attention.

07lilmama1108
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:06 AM
I person ally would take her in... 104+ is very dangerous... if it was 101-102 I give tylenol and I'm like you, very hesitant when it comes to meds. What if its the new strain of the flu virus and your milk can't provide the antibodies? I think you should take her in just to know you did what you could!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moroccanmommy
by Robin on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:07 AM
1 mom liked this
My bad....The way ur post read It sounds as if u were wondering if u should give reducer. Maybe go bacj and add. I still would not count on cm for medical advise. Yes very smart ladies for lots of questions regarding bfing..your questions are medical and seroius. Many prayers for ur child

Quoting twinsmom12110:

i gave her tylenol, nursed her to sleep, put her in her crib, got everything ready and THEN posted this. it's not like she's screaming for help and i'm playing farmville or something, so......

Quoting moroccanmommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)