• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WORRIED!! NEED HELP!!

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:38 AM
  • 12 Replies
So for the,past few days now my son has not been staying latched on for no longer then a minute and he's ebf i only give,him bottles with BM only when company's around or when we visit family but that is very rare we're like prisoners in our own home right now. His diaper counts are normal and i just dont understand why he isnt staying latched on. We were doing great and then all of sudden he doesnt seem interested of the breast anymore. Is this normal behavior? Should i worry? Its bugging me cause the whole time he unlatches, pulls, tugs and it seems like thats what he's,doing the whole time and i feel like he isnt eating cause he's busy doing other things.

what does this mean and what should i do??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ConnorMom228
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:04 AM
It sounds normal. Depending on how many months he is it could be a growth spurt and he is trying to stimulate more production. Or he could be more aware of his surrounding and gets distracted. He could be playing. Either way, nursing in a calm dark room will help. Out stubborn him. Just be patient, and this phase will pass. I've gone thru this and we survived :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:08 AM
How old is he? I also agree that it sounds very normal and can be contributed to teething, growth spurts, and a distracted baby. My dd does it all the time and she's 10 months old. I wouldn't worry, it doesn't last :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paradys
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:09 AM
How old is lo? Just from post I'd goes 6-8 months, of so, this is totally normal.
You could get a nursing necklace or just move to a quiet room w/o distractions. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
McM0609
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:11 AM
He's six wks old. he doesnt seem like he wants too be latched on or hungry, im gtg worried cause if thats,the case i dont know what else to do
:-( i dont want too give up bf we've been doing so good im crying just thinking he might not want to bf anymore.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
McM0609
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:17 AM
I should also mention for the past few wks now he's been slobbering a lot on and off. Could this be connected to why he's acting this way while nursing?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:18 AM
6 weeks is usually around the time they hit a growth spurt. Don't be sad :)
He's probably wanting it to come out alittle faster, he may have developed a preference for the faster flow of the bottle, which if that's that case, I hold off on the bottles for a bit (tho you did say that it's rare that you give him one.) But still, this is normal.

Quoting McM0609:

He's six wks old. he doesnt seem like he wants too be latched on or hungry, im gtg worried cause if thats,the case i dont know what else to do

:-( i dont want too give up bf we've been doing so good im crying just thinking he might not want to bf anymore.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
McM0609
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:27 AM
He's on the breast 80%of the time. I havent given him a bottle in like 3 wks. Yesterday was the first time we have him one cause my husband told me to go out cause i needed a break from bby and so i took my daughter out. Then like at 12midnight my husband sneaked in a bottle and gave it too him so total he's only had three bottles but because he isnt latching on. Could it be a sore throat maybe? Cause he's having problems drinking the bottle too now. Im soo worried I think imma gonna puke.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:48 AM
3 moms liked this

No worries here. This is the normal end of the six week growth spurt.

Never never never worry unless one of the following situations pertain:

1. Low diaper count.

2. Weight loss.

3. Blood in the diaper.

Relax. All good. But do tell hubby that the next time he wants to do you a favor, CLEAN SOMETHING... not feed the baby. He doesn't get to feed the baby.

RELAX. NORMAL STUFF. Go worry about the college fund! **smile**

larissalarie
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this
He's fine. Don't freak & give a bottle or you might get a real problem. He WILL eat what he needs. Our species didn't survive thousands of years without bottles for no reason. Babies nurse when they are hungry....unless you give them options. Don't give him any options and he will not let himself starve :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
belles22
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:31 PM
My son does this too!!!! It does pass but man does it piss me off!!! I just keep trying hime on the breast I switch when one get irritated from the latching and unlatching but I truly believe that when he get hungry enough he will eat proplery.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)