• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The latch is good, but...

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:11 AM
  • 6 Replies
It still hurts when Declan (3 weeks old)nurses on the RIGHT side. The left side is great,BUT never as FULL as the right side, feels like I produce more milk on right side. I know that the latch is good...but is the pain normal? No thrush, no infection. I can't bare the pain anymore, I cringe every time. Feels like I'm getting stabbed with nails :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
JadedFaerie
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Totally normal, still only early days :)

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Sounds like an overactive letdown, which from what I've heard can be really painful. I think if you either hand express some milk or pump alittle bit from that side to take the edge off, it will be less painful when nursing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabsmom10
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:49 AM
Normal for the nipple pain?

Quoting JadedFaerie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JadedFaerie
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, remember your breasts are fairly new at this, with anything it takes time to adjust! It could be other things but I doubt it. If you are worried buy some Lanisoh (nipple cream) it has a tendency to help with the pain, or try taking so paracetamol to help with it. It will get easier :)

Quoting cabsmom10:

Normal for the nipple pain?

Quoting JadedFaerie:

cek302
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Look at kellymom.com

I did this for myself (breastfeeding third child who is now 9 months) and she lists all kind of reasons for nipple pain. In my case it was hormonal, I took evening primrose oil and the pain was gone literally the same day. Then the next day I started my period! So she was exactly right!!

mama02040608
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:28 AM
Nipple pain that makes you cringe is NOT normal, I don't care where in BF you are. It could be because flow is faster and he clamps down to stop it or the shape may lead to a slightly different latch than the other side. Either way, do look on kellymom for some solutions and know that it will have an end :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)