• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you just pump?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:49 AM
  • 7 Replies
My baby is 5 days old now and I'm thinking of just pumping.

Hows it going? How do you do it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ConnorMom228
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:51 AM
If you decide to exclusively pump, from what I've read, it is VERY HARD to maintain. It takes a lot I dedication. I hate pumping, and I only do it on weekends when I work. It is SO MUCH EASIER to just nurse. The first couple months are tough to get thru. But if you hang in there, it will be worth it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heathermarie27
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:54 AM
I pumped exclusively for 4.5 months and it's very hard. I wish I would have been able to nurse. Constant supply issues, no freedom because you have to pump every 2-3 hours, it's very hard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cartersmom101
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:55 AM
It's a messy task and a lot of work to pump, then feed baby a bottle. It takes twice as much time too. Also, when your milk oxidizes it loses some nutrients.
mommyofone15
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:57 AM
:( I'm so confused n emotional about this decision! I'm so tired, my boobs hurt, it feels bf is making my baby blues worse. My husband is leaving today for 3 days, I have 2 other children 5 & 2 to keep up with. I'm an emotional wreck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amanda_Jeanne
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I have been pumping for my twins for 3 months now... and it's tough! We also nurse a few times a day, but I've been mostly pumping since day 1.

If you can work through it, in my opinion, just nursing would be SO much easier. I'm trying to get them strictly on the breast, because pumping is VERY time consuming. You have to sit for 15-30 minutes at a time just pumping, then clean pump parts and whatnot, then spend another 15-30 minutes feeding baby with a bottle and cleaning bottles and nipples... it can get old really quick unless you have an insane amount of patience. Plus you said you have other children, that can make you even MORE stressed because you have the baby's demands, having to sit and pump, having to sit and feed, and then the older kids' demands... you might not enjoy it so much. I have a 2.5 year old in addition to my twins and when I'm trying to take care of all of them at the same time it can make me want to rip my hair out! :o)

mama02040608
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:14 AM
What is making you want to pump rather than nurse? Are you having nipple pain or is it just how much a newborn nurses? If we know what is discouraging you, we may be able to help you keep going.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Quoting mommyofone15:

:( I'm so confused n emotional about this decision! I'm so tired, my boobs hurt, it feels bf is making my baby blues worse.
Please talk to your doc about that. Depression meds are safe while nursing.
My husband is leaving today for 3 days, I have 2 other children 5 & 2 to keep up with. I'm an emotional wreck!!

Pumping is a commitment to being on the pump for 15 minutes every two hours around the clock. No skipping. No sleeping longer when baby does. It's the hard road and not one I'd take with depression in the mix.

Do you have a sling? Consider it required equipment when there's more than one child... you can pop baby in and "forget" baby. **grin** 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)