Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need help from pumpin moms and LC Please

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:57 AM
  • 11 Replies

Ok, So I want/need to pump some milk to store so that when I go back for my masters my DH has pumped milk. We are down to 2-4 oz of formula per day and by next week I hope my dd to be off ff for good.

How do I get a stash of BM. I try to pump and can get a max 2 oz out. I have a meldea electric pump. My bank lady who has same age child told me to get a Avent electric pump that it worked better and she can get 10 oz in one sitting ( sigh) . 10 oz really !! good for her, but what am I doing wrong?

I feed on demand which is usually every 3-4 hours sometimes every hour or two with my DD and at night its like a all you can drink buffet for her lol every 1-2 hours!

DD nurses off one breat for a feeding.. do I pump the other side?

Please tell me your tricks .................Thanks breastfeeding

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lisakansas
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

10 oz is a lot more than most women can get in one sitting regardless of what pump they use, I'm pretty sure.  :)  lump her in with the people who go on and on about how their little Bella or Aiden walked at 6 months, talked at 7, etc. etc.

maggiebella25
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:14 AM
10 oz def not the norm! 2 oz like ur doing is great! Pump on the side ur not feeding from if they only eat one side a feeding, drink tons of water eat oatmeal take fenugreek this will up your supply as when u go back to school u will see a slight dip in ur supply and need to pump every 3 hours.
Pump first thing in the morning when your supply is best and squeeze in pump sessions between feedings. I personally think medala is the best pump. Good luck I'm trying to get a freezer stash going to for when I return to work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moroccanmommy
by Robin on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Quoting maggiebella25:

10 oz def not the norm! 2 oz like ur doing is great! Pump on the side ur not feeding from if they only eat one side a feeding, drink tons of water eat oatmeal take fenugreek this will up your supply as when u go back to school u will see a slight dip in ur supply and need to pump every 3 hours.
Pump first thing in the morning when your supply is best and squeeze in pump sessions between feedings. I personally think medala is the best pump. Good luck I'm trying to get a freezer stash going to for when I return to work.

Thanks for info...I know the 10oz is not the norm but is 2 oz? My class will only be one night a week for 5 hours. I would like to have at least 20- 30 oz packed away (ICE)

I feel like I am drained in the morning..nothing left from her drinkaton. lol is that normal?

I heard about oatmeal.. still don't know how there's a correlation.. but worth a try..

I would also like to make her Yogaurt whens she 6 months ( I do it with cows milk now so Y not)

mama02040608
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this
0.5-2 oz is normal pump output. Anything more means that mom has a wicked oversupply AND responds really well to the pump. 10oz is crazy good output and some moms (*raises hand sheepishly*) do have that. But I never did anything to make it happen.

You only need enough for your class put away...but if you pump every morning no matter what, you will accustom your body to the pump AND get a stash going. Doesn't matter what you "feel" like, breasts are always making milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
graciemae3215
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:15 PM

2 oz is a good, normal output...

kblpooh
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I pump in the morning about an hour after he eats and get between 2-4 oz total. If I pump later in day between feedings I get only 2 oz. From what I have read you are pumping the average range. When you go to class you should pump while you are away, then you can use that for next class.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Quoting moroccanmommy:

Ok, So I want/need to pump some milk to store so that when I go back for my masters my DH has pumped milk. We are down to 2-4 oz of formula per day and by next week I hope my dd to be off ff for good.

How do I get a stash of BM. I try to pump and can get a max 2 oz out.perfect! thats on the HIGH end of normal! I have a meldea electric pump. My bank lady who has same age child told me to get a Avent electric pump that it worked better and she can get 10 oz in one sitting ( sigh) . 10 oz really !! good for her, but what am I doing wrong?yeah that ladies a crazy super pumper and meela is just as good as Ameda I promise...you are doing NOTHING wrong

I feed on demand which is usually every 3-4 hours sometimes every hour or two with my DD and at night its like a all you can drink buffet for her lol every 1-2 hours!

DD nurses off one breat for a feeding.. do I pump the other side?you can!

Please tell me your tricks .................Thanks breastfeeding

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

I got up every single morning and pumped both side in between feedings.  I stored this milk.  When with baby he never ever got bottles so all that milk was stored.  If I was away for a feeding I pumped for it and he neve rgot more than I pumped in that time away either..like if I was gone 9 hours and pumped 9 oz he only got 9 oz not 10 or 11.

Make sure to hand express and massage during and after pumping!

You only need enough milk to cover the first day away from baby..you dont need a huge stock of milk stored

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:26 PM

1/2 oz to 2 oz is the norm for a MISSED feed btw...10oz is almost 1/2 a days milk..in ONE pump

paaepae
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:36 PM
I pump 8-16oz a day. I pump the breast she didn't eat out of after every feeding, except at night, she does an all night buffet as well. In the morning, I give it an hour or so after her last feeding before pumping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Quoting moroccanmommy:

Thanks for info...I know the 10oz is not the norm but is 2 oz?

Two ounces is TOP of norm.

My class will only be one night a week for 5 hours. I would like to have at least 20- 30 oz packed away (ICE)

You don't need that much for five hours. Five ounces... five and a half tops. 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour. No more. More is overfeeding.

I feel like I am drained in the morning..nothing left from her drinkaton. lol is that normal?

I heard about oatmeal.. still don't know how there's a correlation.. but worth a try..

I would also like to make her Yogaurt whens she 6 months ( I do it with cows milk now so Y not)

You're all good. No messing with it. **grin** Breastmilk yogurt is a cool idea!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)