Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For the first time, my commitment to continuing to breastfeed is challenged

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:04 AM
  • 13 Replies

I had a tiny little cyst on my chest, between and just above my breasts, for the past 5 years...for reasons known only to itself, it decided to abscess between noon and midnight last night, growing in size from perhaps a quarter of an inch to larger than a half-dollar and becoming quite painful and resulting in me making a very late-night trip to the ER last night (or very early this morning, depending on your perspective).  They took one look at it, whipped me into a treatment room, injected me with local anasthetic and then spent the next half-hour torturing me (okay, not really, but that's what it felt like).  No pain meds stronger than ibuprofen because, they said, I am breastfeeding...

Let's just say this is a very bad location for this kind of surgical wound and breastfeeding.  Every time she nurses it gets re-torn open, not just resulting in an amazing amount of pain for me but copious bleeding.  Pumping isn't much better.  I would imagine that when the thing heals, the pain and bleeding will go away, but I'm not sure how it's going to manage to heal if it keeps getting re-opened, and I'm really afraid of re-infection as well.

I haven't decided to give up breastfeeding...yet, but wow.  This really, really S-U-C-K-S...mostly I just wanted to vent.  Thanks for listening!  :)  

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
moroccanmommy
by Robin on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:57 AM
2 moms liked this

So sorry your suffering. many thoughts and prayers your way. I dont advocate for pain meds, but you can have stronger meds than what you are on. Call your Dr and have him give you something stronger for a few days. Nurse on the other side more? I have heard of people bfing on one side only before. Call LC or wic office? Hopefull y the ladies can give you more advice.

feel better 

chillemi78
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh, ouch! I don't have any advice to offer, but you certainly have my sympathies and I hope you heal quickly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this
You certainly CAN take something stronger than motrin if needed. What do c/s moms do? Not all of them get by with Tylenol and motrin :)

I hope you heal really quickly and I hope this isn't the end of the road for you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annaica
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:50 PM
http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/pain-meds.html

The meds marked with L1 & L2 are the best to breastfeed with. Can you ask for one of them?
Is this abscess on one breast? Where exactly is it? Maybe a different position and you won't notice any trouble with pain while breastfeeding?
Don't give up! This is definitely something that has room for improvement. It can't last forever, right? You can get thru it :)
Hugs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShadowLark
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

POOR THING!  I hate ignorant ER staff!  You can bf while taking MORPHINE, SURELY a bit of Vicodin or something can't hurt?  (And it won't, believe me.  Check LactMed!)

I agree with trying other positions.  OUCH!  And I'd go in to my personal doc to see if maybe a different type of dressing for the wound would help, too.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:19 PM

WOW the doctors are stupid and ignorant and YES it was torture becuase there is NO reason you could not be given pain meds...you could be given MORPHINE and be fine to nurse your baby..WOW wth?

I hope everything heals soon and somehow things work out so you can continue to nurse

mommy2lexinmark
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:22 PM
i say if i can have percocet after my c section...then u can too! nurse on the other side and hand express til it heals more! good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bella_grace
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:33 PM
If it keeps getting opened up, I'm not sure how you can heal. Your health and well-being matters too. I agree to stick on the other side and just hand express that side for comfort until you heal enough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShadowLark
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Quoting bella_grace:

If it keeps getting opened up, I'm not sure how you can heal. Your health and well-being matters too. I agree to stick on the other side and just hand express that side for comfort until you heal enough.

It WILL heal as long as it doesn't get reinfected.  But that means scarring, too.

Seriously, mama - go get that thing dressed PROPERLY!  HUGS!

lisakansas
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:59 PM

I wish I could switch sides--unfortunately it's not on a particular side, it's dead center.  I personally would be fine taking something stronger..!  They just wouldn't give it to me.  The sad thing here is, I made an appointment at the dermatologists way back in November for the end of this month to have the original little painless cyst removed--oh, well, at least my appointment (which is this Thursday) maybe can be used to get the thing properly dressed as the LP says and even, if I'm still in this much pain, some drugs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)