Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Switching from pump to breast

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:13 AM
  • 5 Replies

I still don't feel 100% confident in switching my 12 week old twins from pumping and bottle feeding to fully breastfeeding... I tried to experiment yesterday, I didn't pump from about 10am for the rest of the day and just tandem nursed them, which worked well and I enjoyed, and did not pump the rest of the day. However, when they woke up for their 2am feeding, I fed them pumped milk and then pumped myself afterwards. I don't know why I chickened out, but I did. And pumped again this morning after their feeding.

They latch and eat just fine... what scares me is we just got over thrush, and I am afraid of it coming back... and I'm afraid of somehow screwing up my supply (which there is no problem with it now, I pump plenty and they have been gaining and growing and chunking up just fine, and putting out plenty of dirty diapers!) I dunno... I just don't have the confidence to break away from the pump. Any encouragement or success from others who went from pumping to breast, please share!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
maggiebella25
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:23 AM
I didn't go from pump to breast but wanted to wish you luck! Sounds like u and your lil guys are doing great! I did pump everyday 5 times a day so my ds could take bottled bm at daycare and bf all evening and night and weekends. It wad hard! I say if it's your comfort zone work in a couple of feedings a day gradually and continue to pump and freeze that liquid gold! It will come in handy ESP with twins! As you feel more confident u can increase your feedings and decrease your pumping ( but still leave a pump session here and there if u want to freeze) also invest in some items to make tandem feeding easier like a twin Brest friend nursing pillow which I have heard twin moms rave about! Drink loads of water take fenugreek and eat oatmeal daily, but mostly step back and admire how wonderfully and effient your body is whether u pump or nurse or a combination lady you are nourishing to beautiful healthy and growing twin boys! Truly amazing!
Btw I'm terrified if getting thrush again too! It hurt so bad!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
graycalico
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:38 AM
My ds was born with medical issues si I didn't get to nurse him at all really until we got home two weeks later. It took a week to get him to nurse and I was terrified he never would. At first it was hard not being able to see how much he was eating, especially after being in the hospital mentality of getting a certain amount of ounces in every x amount of hours. But I was so glad to not have to do double work with pumping and feeding.
four months later we are going strong. My dd never had a bottle. I love the bond bfing gives. Can't imagine twins though. Lol. Now my SO wants me to have ds take a bm bottle here and there so he can feed him too and so i have more freedom. But i'm selfish and haven't done it yet. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:59 PM

You've come a long long way. It's natural to be scared of taking that last step. But like driving a car on your pown or riding a bike on your own.. it's something you just have to manage. Screw your courage to the sticking place. And the good news... takes a lot more than a day to mess things up. **grin**

larissalarie
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:05 PM
If your supply is good pumping, it should be even better directly nursing! As far as thrush make sure you have clean, dry breast pads all the time and start taking a probiotic. Either way, your doing great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:30 PM

THIS!

AND you can do it momma...a step at a time is what it takes..even if you just add a feed a day gradually going to all at the breast then do it! YOU can do it!

Quoting gdiamante:

You've come a long long way. It's natural to be scared of taking that last step. But like driving a car on your pown or riding a bike on your own.. it's something you just have to manage. Screw your courage to the sticking place. And the good news... takes a lot more than a day to mess things up. **grin**

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)