• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it too late?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:14 AM
  • 19 Replies
Baby girl turns one month tomorrow, and we are still having latching issues. Is it too late to fix her latch? We've been having issues from th beginning, and it has gotten a little better, but I still don't feel like its ideal.
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama02040608
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Never too late! Find a good ibclc and get help with that latch. Have her also look into baby's mouth for tongue tie, lip tie, or any anatomical abnormalities that might make latching difficult or painful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
graciemae3215
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:16 PM

it's never too late!!!!!!!

larissalarie
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Quoting graciemae3215:

it's never too late!!!!!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RozyMama
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:38 PM
Nowhere close to too late! Find an IBCLC!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annaica
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:39 PM
Lots of resources here to look thru :)

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/basics/latch-resources.html

Don't give up, some of us have more issues than others with getting a good latch and alot of things come into play so just keep trying different things and speak with an IBCLC asap if you can too!
Hugs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aamommy2011
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:40 PM

definitely not too late. i had to fix ds's latch at 3 months for two months because he had a hard bottle latch

fairygirl_13
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:42 PM
Dd1 was a NICU baby and got pumped bottles from day 1. I got her to latch at 1mo 3days old AT my first LLL meeting :) just keep at it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aimeeo0o21
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:45 PM

if shes having latch issues u cant just pump and bottle feed??? maybe im understanding this wrong??

TwinmomAlicia
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:54 PM
She can, but it's a LOT more work that I'm sure the OP would like to avoid if she could. Pumping every three hours, washing bottles and pump parts, fighting the inevitable supply drop, ect. Not to mention pumped milk is second best, healthwise, to straight from the tap. Direct breastfeeding even helps with muscle development in the jaw.
Latch issues are easy enough to fix that she could avoid all the exclusive pumping headaches with just a little more effort right now.

OP, have you tried putting her skin-to-skin and letting her take the lead?

Quoting Aimeeo0o21:

if shes having latch issues u cant just pump and bottle feed??? maybe im understanding this wrong??

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aimeeo0o21
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:59 PM

i guess i just dont understand how pumped milk is "second best" im a pumper, i just dont feel comfortable breast feeding, and thats just me. i exclusively pumped and bottle fed my DS and plan on it with this baby too.. breast milk is breast milk no matter how the baby gets it. not trying to pick a fight, this is just my personal opinion.

Quoting TwinmomAlicia:

She can, but it's a LOT more work that I'm sure the OP would like to avoid if she could. Pumping every three hours, washing bottles and pump parts, fighting the inevitable supply drop, ect. Not to mention pumped milk is second best, healthwise, to straight from the tap. Direct breastfeeding even helps with muscle development in the jaw.
Latch issues are easy enough to fix that she could avoid all the exclusive pumping headaches with just a little more effort right now.

OP, have you tried putting her skin-to-skin and letting her take the lead?

Quoting Aimeeo0o21:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)