Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

fore and hind milk imbalance

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:18 AM
  • 2 Replies

I am thinking I may have a fore/hindmilk imbalance.  My son (12 weeks) had 2 green poops in the past 12 hours and one had a small amount of blood in it.  I looked this up on Kellymom and found some information on having an oversupply of milk and an imbalance.  How can I correct this?  By the time my DD was 8 weeks, I had self-regulated and stopped getting engorged, but not this time.  I still get engorged at least once a day.  I work part time and pump at work, both breasts at the same time.  Could this be a problem?  Should I just pump one breast at a time? Any help and insight would be great.  By the way, DS is usually gassy and frequently has clear urps, but is not fussy, so I don't think he is in any pain. 

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
littlemonaghan
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Block Feed. Nurse on only 1 breast per feeding. If that doesn't help within a week, increase it to 2 feedings per breast and then switch. Pump exactly as you would nurse. If you nurse 1 breast per feeding, pump 1 breast per session, alternating respectively. 

I had fore/hindmilk imbalance along with overactive letdown and this fixed it for me. I wasn't pumping but I did blockfeed and after 2 weeks we were golden...and I don't just mean the color of her poop. :) lol

annaica
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:44 PM
http://kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

There are some illustrations of positioning baby if you have an oversupply which may help.

Also breast compressions may help with the fat imbalance.
http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8:breast-compression&catid=5:information&Itemid=17
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)