Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think this routine will work?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:29 PM
  • 7 Replies
My baby is 5 days old and I'm struggling with baby blues pretty bad. Lack of sleep and all responsibility on me is what's making it its worse I think. So last night and this morning after hours of crying I was ready to just give up n go formula or pump only til I dry up. Well after some thought I came up with this routine, do you think it'll work?

She eats every 3 hours and since my milk has come in only takes one breast a feeding. So I was thinking 2 hrs after feeding her pump both sides n get as much as possible then put her to the breast when she's ready (roughly an hr later) and let her feed from both sides (so my breasts still get the stimulation from her) then pump 2 hrs later n so on. And then at night just breastfeed unless I really need a break then let dh give her a bottle.

Does this sound do able? Should I adjust it at all?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
maggiemom2000
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like your plan would make things harder. Pumping is a pain in the neck, takes you away from your baby, and can lead to lots of other problems (oversupply, plugged ducts, mastitis).

At 5 days old, your baby is no where near to having any sort of schedule. Even though she is eating every 3 hours right now, there is about a 99.9% chance that it will change (about 100 times in the next few months!)

The best recipe for exhaustion and baby blues? Get in bed with your baby, and stay there. Keep baby skin to skin on your bare chest and let her nurse frequently. When she falls asleep, you can fall asleep. Only get up to go to the bathroom, eat, and shower. Have DH take care of the house, answer the phone, cook your meals etc. When you feel like it hand him baby when she needs her diaper changed, or when she is well fed and unlikely to need to nurse again soon.

When you need a break, give DH a full baby.

collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a question - why are you responsible for everything? A mom with a newborn should be responsible for nothing but baby.

Older kids can have tv marathons, hubby needs to make food & clean. Your job is to relax, recover, and nurse, nurse, nurse.

After about 3 months nursing will be 100x easier than bottle feeding.

And if you are having difficulties, many antidepressants are safe to take while nursing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Honestly, I think you're making more work and responsibility for yourself.  Skip the pumping except maybe once a day so that you do have that stash for breaking point moments.  Sleep when baby sleeps if possible, doze on the couch occasionally if you can't.  Do only what is needed to avoid the health department coming to your house :) Cut yourself some slack, you just gave birth and I think you have another child to care for.  You're only 5 days PP...take it easy for a while and enlist help if you can.  If not, get DH to lend a hand when he's around.  He DID contribute to making this other child....he can contribute to making your life easier now she's here :)

The other downside of yourplan is that it can contribute to oversupply which can lead to fussy baby and breast problems like clogged ducts and mastitis.  Just have enough milk on hand in case you feel like your head's gonna explode so you can hand baby to DH and leave :)

mommyofone15
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:48 PM
Thanks ladies I just feel so overwhelmed! Yes I have a 5 yr old and 2 yr old. Dh works ALOT! He has been home with me since baby was born but is leaving state today for 3 days so that's making things harder! I just wish I knew what I didn't know :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Quoting mommyofone15:

Thanks ladies I just feel so overwhelmed! Yes I have a 5 yr old and 2 yr old. Dh works ALOT! He has been home with me since baby was born but is leaving state today for 3 days so that's making things harder! I just wish I knew what I didn't know :(

3 day plan:

Simple quick easy food for everyone

let the house be messy

Park youself on the couch with baby and turn on the TV for the 2 and 5 yr old.

Do you have a friend/neighbor who could entertain or take outside for a bit the older kids for a bit?

Christina807
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:21 PM
This is a good plan.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Quoting mommyofone15:

3 day plan:

let the house be messy

Do you have a friend/neighbor who could entertain or take outside for a bit the older kids for a bit?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JealousGrrl
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:25 PM

This!  Baby needs to be first priority.  :)

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Quoting mommyofone15:

3 day plan:

let the house be messy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)