Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Best breast pump

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:38 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hi, I'm a soon to be first time mom (well, not too soon, I'm only 7 1/2 weeks).  But I'm very ready to jump on board with breast feeding.  Hubby and I looked at breast pumps today, and I felt a little overwelmed.  I plan to stay home for about 4 months, but will have to go back to work after that, so I'll need a good pump that I can bring to work with me.  I hope to BF for AT LEAST a year.  So, ladies, what if your favorite?  Also is there a bottle that you prefer that makes the transition from breast to bottle easier?

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Check out our resources sticky...  we've linked our recommendations there. At four months, you can use a cup.

ashleigheg
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:50 PM
Any pump made by Medela, Lanisoh, Ameda or Hygeia would be preferred for going back to work. Obviously, a double electric. I have a Medela pump in style that has lasted me through 6 months of pumping every day.

Also, you will want to pump once a day, every day, even on days off to maintain a response to the pump(obviously not until baby is born).

As for the bottles, I use Playtex Vent Air for my DD. The important thing is a wide base nipple, slow flow only. We have tried a few different ones, and prefer the Playtex. It takes her 10 minutes to finish a bottle, so she actually registers that she is full.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Theres a post about this in the reference sticky but I love my medela freestyle, I too stayed home 4 months before going back to work but I started pumping to get a good pump response the day my milk came in just once a day.

ANY pump by medela, ameda, lansinoh or hygeia is great...dont get a pump til close to when you will use it because all but the hygeia only have 1 year warranty from when you buy it..hygeia has 3 years

tabi_cat1023

Quoting gdiamante:

Check out our resources sticky...  we've linked our recommendations there. At four months, you can use a cup.

Have you updated it recently?

tabi_cat1023

OH and we like tommee tippee bottles alot

truelyred2
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:02 PM
I like the medela in style. Baby's r us has coupons for 20% off that I used on mine. As for bottles I'll give you our story...
My baby was born at 32w6d and was in nicu for 17 days and on tube feeding for 14 of those days. Once she was off the tube they used bottles with nipples that were super easy to suck, you barely need to put any pressure at all to get milk out. Also they did not allow me to put her to breast at all while in nicu for worry of tiring her out. Well I had prior to birth
researched bottles and found the first years breast flow bottles. Well after we brought MiaBella home she would not take the breast at all, would not latch on. We were stuck with the nicu bottles. Well we decided to try the breast flow bottles anyway. They have a unique double nipple design that forces baby yo use the same facial muscles as they do during breast feeding. Trust me this my 4th baby and I had issues with breast feeding and latching with all of them. My 1st 2 never breast fed. I exclusively pumped and bottle fed them. With MiaBella after about 6 days on these bottles, she was breastfeeding like a champ. I am feeding her as I type this.
I am convinced had it not been for these bottles I would not be breastfeeding my little girl now.
Message me if you want more info.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:30 PM

I believe I added Hygeia... I'll take a look.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting gdiamante:

Have you updated it recently?

eagerforbaby
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Thanks so much for all your input!  I did look at the resources sticky (lots of good info, I plan to read it all when I have time!)  And after looking at reviews as well, I think we will go with the medela in style.  I know I am ahead of the game, but it took me 4 years to get pregnant so I am so excited!  We were actually looking in to adoption when we got pregnant.  I would have tried to breast feed even if we had adopted.

mrsfishes
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 12:55 AM

I think it's great you're starting research early. I would recommend this article: http://www.justwestofcrunchy.com/2011/01/19/the-problems-with-medela/

I have heard of several instances of Medela pumps growing mold in certain places, etc., so be sure what kind of system the pump has for the healthiest outcome. I was really bummed to throw away my Medela hand pump due to unreachable mold, and then read that article. I have used an Evenflow electric pump for two and half years with two babies and it has been good to me.

wesleysmom08
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 1:00 AM
I love my medela! Well worth the money in my opinion!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)