• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First Baby almost here! Any breastfeeding advice?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:26 PM
  • 50 Replies

I'm almost 34 weeks and getting quite nervous but very excited about the big day. It'll be here before we know it!

My mom and aunt have both gave me some tips as to how to prepare myself for breastfeeding because apparently it can be very painful in the beginning. Any good tips for beginners would be very much appreciated! I really don't want to be balling my eyes out while trying to get her to feed.

I have also read the book "Becoming Baby Wise" and it was FANTASTIC. I highly recommend it! :)

big smile miniThank you!

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elyssa414
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:32 PM
2 moms liked this
I highly recomend "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" best book ever for preparing! :) and joining a LLL near you. I went a few times before baby came so I would have support in place.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BabyMamaFergie
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Thanks! I will check it out. What is an LLL?

Elyssa414
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:35 PM
2 moms liked this
PS- I completely disagree with the baby wise approach... (just my opinion) Look into on demand nursing and co-sleeping to make night time more manageable. ;) good luck to you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyssa414
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:35 PM
La Leche League

Quoting BabyMamaFergie:

Thanks! I will check it out. What is an LLL?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
comf
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:39 PM
You only need to prepare yourself with knowledge! There is no need to prepare your breasts.

Um....I don't recommend the baby wise books at all, for anyone, ever. Especially for babies...

Your milk will take anywhere from 1 day to 1 week to come in. That's normal. Try to not have any drugs or fluids during birth because drugs can cause lazy nurser, and fluids can inflate the birth weight causing you to think the baby has lost too much weight when in reality he/she just got rid of the extra fluids. No need to supplement until your milk comes in either, colostrum is more than enough for the first week.

Babys can nurse anywhere from 20 min to 3 hours or more AT A TIME. This is normal and after 6 weeks it gets a lot faster. Never limit your babys time at the breast.

The only way to know if your baby is getting enough is to count the diapers. Babys behavior is NOT an indication of fullness. 1 day old-1 diaper. 2 days old-2 diapers. So on until 6 days old. After six days you just need 6 diapers a day to know baby is getting enough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindAngeLevi
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:42 PM
That's great that you have people that are very supportive. You will probably want to give up because it hurts that bad but it only lasts about 2 weeks. My son made me bleed withought knowing it and he even vomitted blood.
At first you have colostrum and many moms say they don't think their baby is getting enough but it is thicker than breastmilk and is definitely enough for the baby!
A warm cloth will help and some say lanolin helps...never helped me though.
The baby wasn't latching right but the hospital had a breastfeeding consultant that I had one on one time and she really helped me get through it! The baby is now 18 months and after all the hard work he is still breastfeeding and we love it so much!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Daynaof3
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Get a copy of "So That's What They're For!" By Janet Tamaro, read everything on www.kellymom.com and please forget all that you have read in the Babywise book! I encourage you to have at least 1 hour skin to skin with your baby immediately following delivery and trust your instincts. Feed your little one whenever they show you they are hungry and IF you get nervous watch diapers. Get some breast pads for leaking, since it's highly likely ion the early weeks to months. Be confident, if it hurts or you have questions ask for help early and often. =)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyssa414
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:48 PM
Here is why the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) recommends against babywise:
http://www.drmomma.org/2009/12/babywise-linked-to-babies-dehydration.html
Sorry, I can't make it clicky from my phone. :) but basically, babies need to nurse on demand in order for your body to produce enough milk to support their growing bodies and brain development. The more they nurse, the more milk you produce. Many babywise babies have suffered from dehydration and failure to thrive.

The best thing you can do to prepare is have a support system in place to encorage you and help you through the rough times. It can be hard at first, but after the first month it gets so much easier! :) just don't give bottles or formula at all or at least until everything is working great because that will mess with your supply.

I'm sure you'll do great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindAngeLevi
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Also your breasts will be engorged for a while but your milliseconds regulating itself. If you have oversupply both of your breasts will leak and you should catch the milk in another container. Also baby might pull off if your flow is too fast but she will get used to it and your breasts will also slow down when you have a let down.
Don't listen to your dr if he says you NEED to supplement with formula or like my dr say I needed to put my milk in a bottle and add rice cereal to it at 4 months. That will only hurt your supply and does nothing for the baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:57 PM
3 moms liked this

I highly recommend throwing AWAY that babywise book if you want to breastfeed, its connected with low supply and failure to thrive, including malnourished babies.  That book was written by someone who has NO training in human lactation and its very unrealistic.  It can work for FFing moms, but rarely works for BFing moms.

I highly recommend you read the Dr Sears Attachment parenting book, and  SO thats what they're for by janet tamaro.

BIGGEST advice, THROW AWAY THE CLOCKS, never limit the breast, nurse baby 24/7 if that is what baby demands because baby knows what baby needs better than anyone else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)