Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Q about nipple sheild!

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:33 PM
  • 10 Replies
My lactation consultant said I had to use one in the hospital. She showed me how and we tried to get DS to latch... he wouldn't! I took it off and he has no problem. Latches great, feeds great!! The hospital said he was a premie but they had a different due date than the ultrasound showed... by a week and it was a guess for my lmp so they're saying he's a 36 week baby when he's a 37 week baby (that's where has been measuring)... he's little, 6lbs 4oz but my dd was the exact same.weight when she was born at 38 weeks! So, because he's little they say we need a nipple sheild. But he won't larch with it and I don't have pump. Plus he wants to nurse every 2-3 hours and spends 4-6 hours cluster feeding!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Emadele
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:44 PM
2 moms liked this
If he latches fine without it I wouldnt use it. They're great when needed but hard to wean off of.
ArmyWife0927
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this

So, just because he is premie they say you have to use it? That's odd...I say if you don't need it, don't use it!

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this

If he's nursing without it you DON'T need it.

collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:57 PM
1 mom liked this
The shield is for damaged nipples and for when baby won't latch due to a tongue or lip tie. Don't use it!

I would ignore anything else that LC tells you, truthfully.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
07lilmama1108
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:29 PM
Thank you ladies! Those were my thoughts exactly! Half of what they told me didn't make sens to what I've been researching since I found out I was pregnant!! I was shocked when they brought that up...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting gdiamante:

If he's nursing without it you DON'T need it.

Some premies (and full term newborns) have trouble latching and nursing well and a nipple shield can help. If yoru baby is nursing fine w/o one you don't need one!

IIf it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!

JaxMomma78
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:04 PM

wow!!!  i had the opposite prob!  my baby was born 5 lbs 6 oz at 36 weeks and he could not latch so i HAD to use the nipple shield.  :(

it has been hard to wean, i wish i didnt have to use it!  the LC in the hospital was always in a rush and didnt have much patience with me.

07lilmama1108
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:51 PM
Wow!!! That's awful!! I'm sorry :(

Quoting JaxMomma78:

wow!!!  i had the opposite prob!  my baby was born 5 lbs 6 oz at 36 weeks and he could not latch so i HAD to use the nipple shield.  :(

it has been hard to wean, i wish i didnt have to use it!  the LC in the hospital was always in a rush and didnt have much patience with me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gingerella
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:55 PM

My LC said NOT to use one. She said the hospital would be bad to push one on me but to refuse it. I just told her my nipples were a little flat but not inverted. 

Hottubgodess
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this
It is approved for use with preemies. Preemies usually have a high palate and they need an extension to stimulate the palate so the suck reflex starts.

Op - sounds like nursing without is working for you. :). Congrats

Quoting collinsmommy0:

The shield is for damaged nipples and for when baby won't latch due to a tongue or lip tie. Don't use it!

I would ignore anything else that LC tells you, truthfully.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)