Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thoughts on Alcohol & Caffeine while BFing?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:14 PM
  • 19 Replies

I'm completely past the "going out and getting drunk" phase of my life, however I am looking forward to that ice-cold glass of chardonnay once I am no longer with child. I did not want to risk drinking any amount during pregnancy just for fear that something might happen and I wouldn't be as lucky as some of those who did have one glass every now and then. I also gave up regular caffeinated coffee when I found out (never had morning sickness but caffeine headaches were HORRIBLE!)

My mother said that she never went out and got trashed but she didn't hesitate to have a glass of wine when she wanted it as long as she drank a LOT of water throughout the day to prevent dehydration. She also didn't watch her caffeine intake nor did she go crazy with it either and we all were very calm and happy babies.

What is your advice on drinking alcohol and caffeine while breastfeeding? I'm looking forward to those things once I'm able to but if it's better for the child that I lay off a little longer then I will.

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissElissa21
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I am one that had a glass of wine or a beer while pregnant and while BFing and had no negative outcome. It's all about knowing the benefits and risks and logic and making a decision that is right for you and your family.

mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:23 PM

If I liked to drink I would have no problem having a glass now and then while breastfeeding. I've known many moms who have done so. As long as you're not buzzed it's fine. As far as caffeine, I only give it up if it bothers the baby. Otherwise I go ahead and drink it as wanted.

kitty8199
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:27 PM
I drink caffeine, no problem. I can have a beer, no problem. I drink wine, Maddie has a problem. As long as babycan tolerate it, and you aren`t drunk it`s kind of a hit or miss. Do what baby can take.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Safe to drive safe to nurse. And all foods and drinks are fine as long as baby doesn't react. Nothing is off the table. Have your chardonnay. Have your coffee. Have an Irish Coffee if you please.  You get to eat and drink as you like.

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:27 PM
I drank decaf while pregnant once in a while (probably had a total of 10 decaf cups of coffee) and I never drank alcohol while pregnant. While breastfeeding ai have had a bit of wine and coffee...but not until my third and after he was around 1 yr did I have a little bit of wine. Thats just what I felt comfortable with.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Alcohol - Safe to drive = safe to nurse.  As long as you can safely and legally drive, you can safely nurse.  Some ladies here have a rule of waiting 2 hours per drink after drinking before nursing, but I've nursed and drank at the same time.  To each, their own.  No biggie.  

Caffeine - it's up to how your child reacts to it, much like any other food/drink while nursing.  Neither of my babies reacted negatively to caffeine, but I know some babies have.  You'll just have to try it out to see if your baby reacts or not.  :)

vampire2007
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:30 PM
I have a beer a couple times a well after baby is in bed and I drink caffeine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RozyMama
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I drink a cup of coffee every day, and occasionally have a little beer or wine if I know he's not going to be hungry again for a few hours (so I didn't really drink until he was a few months old; newborns need to eat every 10 minutes it seems). If you get drunk, it's safe to nurse again as soon as you feel sober enough to drive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vampire2007
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:31 PM
Week
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BabyMamaFergie
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Quoting Precious333:

I drank decaf while pregnant once in a while (probably had a total of 10 decaf cups of coffee) and I never drank alcohol while pregnant. While breastfeeding ai have had a bit of wine and coffee...but not until my third and after he was around 1 yr did I have a little bit of wine. Thats just what I felt comfortable with.

I have drank chai tea as well as decaf on a daily basis my entire pregnancy.. both have very little amounts of caffeine in them but no regular coffee (which I miss dearly! lol)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)