Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 month old nurses still every 1 1/2 - 2 hours help

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:36 PM
  • 37 Replies

she was 5 months yesterday and usually nurses every 2 hours all day, at night she sleeps for 4-5 hours then back to every 2 hours again- ,sometimes she eats a little sooner like 1 1/2 hours between meals, it varies

i started her on whole grain rice cereal last week, its going great and she loves it, did not give me a break at all, she nurses right before she eats solids and wants to nurse after, her weight is normal and shes growing properly

im just curious as to why she nurses so much- and so close together,  i dont mind, i enjoy breastfeeding its just like i hardly have time to do some things

anyways please reply id appreciate it thanks moms!

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:41 PM
3 moms liked this

Because she's a normal baby.   You're extremely lucky that she's sleeping through the night already, so I'd just throw some salt over your shoulder right now before she stops!

Babies have really small stomachs, and human milk is digested quickly... and sometimes they just want a little snuggle with mom.  Really, you get used to it... you need to adjust your expectations and learn that this is how normal babies behave.  Stop focusing on it and it will just become second nature and a totally normal thing.

Also, check some more into solids and rice cereal.   They don't need it and it can mess with their absorption of the iron in your milk, so starting this early can hurt their iron levels.   

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:42 PM
nursing that much and often is very normal...especially if they are going through a growth spurt. As far as giving solids....is there a reason you are giving solids so young? 6 months is the soonest recommended age for a breastfed baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Quoting Precious333:

nursing that much and often is very normal...especially if they are going through a growth spurt. As far as giving solids....is there a reason you are giving solids so young? 6 months is the soonest recommended age for a breastfed baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thetruth1
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Quoting sreichelt26:

Quoting Precious333:

Kaylawv2
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:45 PM
My ds will be 5 mths on the 20th and is still nursing every 1 1/2-2 hrs as well. We havent started.solids yet. Its perfectly normal though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Oh, and do you have a sling yet?    That will help you to be able to do things while baby nurses.

thetruth1
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Quoting thetruth1:

Quoting sreichelt26:

Quoting Precious333:

my own personal choice - yes ive heard and read everything on solids and their is no need to start and i DID NOT start to try to lessen the feedings because i very much enjoy all the feedings and bonding time with my angel! !!!  i just felt she was ready i had been sitting her in her highchair sence 4 months 1 week, and at 4 months 3 weeks she started sitting up straight for about 3 seconds and becomming more stable , i just felt it was the right time for her. thanks

thetruth1
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Oh, and do you have a sling yet?    That will help you to be able to do things while baby nurses.

what is a "sling" and what does it do exactly??

not familiar with that thanks

piwife
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:50 PM
A sling is a baby carrier. Umm its helps you carry the baby around with out having to tide up your hands.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Minga88
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:51 PM

My son is 8 months old and still nurses every 2 hours.... I am just use to it now. It use to drive me kind of nuts but now its just whatever. When we are out and about sometimes he get distracted and will go a little longer. We went to a relatives for the holidays and he wanted to nurse every 30 min. I think its cause he was uncomfortable about all the new people harrassing him. Sometimes I am totally good with it others times I daydream about formula.... this time won't last forever. I wanted to nurse my little guy until he was two years... just taking it one day at a time cause that seems like a long ways away. going crazy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)