Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Question about thrush

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2007 at 9:22 AM
  • 13 Replies
Ok, I feel kinda stupid asking this but I read that a natural cure for thrush in nipples is sun light. I live in Seattle and there really isn't any sun. Will a tan in a tanning bed do the trick?
by on Nov. 24, 2007 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happymommarilyn
by on Nov. 24, 2007 at 11:20 AM
i think the only cure for thrush is nystatin for both you and the baby both of you need to be treated if not and only you treat yourself the baby still has it and will pass it back to you
you need an antibiotic for both of you

For all breastfeeding help, questions, concerns, & growth charts go to www.kellymom.com

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 24, 2007 at 12:21 PM
Never heard of sunlight as a cure. And even if it worked...tanning beds cause more problems than they solve.

Lots of great natural cures on kellymom.com.

I'm not fond of Nystatin. I've seen it make things worse rather than better too many times, because it has sugar that feeds the yeast.
one_sweetmommy
by on Nov. 24, 2007 at 10:57 PM
I agree antibiotics are not the way to go when treating a yeast infection.  I mean come on haven't you ever taken an antibiotic and gotten a yeast infection from the antibiotic itself.  Anyway try to see a lactation consultant they can help you  treat thrush and there is a treatment you can use called gentian violet.  You treat both yourself and the baby at the same time so that you do not pass the infection back and forth.  A really good lactation consultant can tell you how to use it and I believe that when I used it I was able to just buy it from the pharmacy you just have to ask them for it.  Your thrush should clear up within 4-7 days though.  Good luck!!!!!
altoqueenkelly
by on Nov. 24, 2007 at 11:17 PM

Actually yeah - long exposure to sun will help killl the bateria, but not a tanning bed - lol!!!!!!

Go to the DR and get some meds, and if they wont give you the strong stuff - fight for it bcuz Riley had thrush 3 times and they FINALLY gave her the stronger meds, I was like.... she needed this ALLLLL along!!!!!

jennjensen1980
by on Nov. 24, 2007 at 11:19 PM
Gentian Violet is a strong natural antifungal.  Google it and check it out.  It can be used in your childs mouth and on your nipples.
l-and-l_mommy
by on Nov. 25, 2007 at 3:39 PM
nystatin isn't the only remedy. My daughter was allergic to it. There are lots of "home" remedies and actually, prescription pills for yeast infections also help which is what I used.
abellababy
by on Nov. 25, 2007 at 5:32 PM

oh we've just been through this, well going through this right now!
i noticed my daughter had a white spot, thought is was milk and would go away and it didnt! and my boobs have been killing me for a long time now. itchy, burning, etc. i finally took her to the doc, and what i thought was thrush, wasnt, but the doc found a spot in the back of her mouth that WAS.

he prescribed both of us nystatin, me a creme, her a liquid and i feel its helping me a little bit, and i think her spot is totally gone now. it did get a lil bit worse at first though, bc thats what an antibiotic will do. the yeast feeds off of it first. sometimes it doesnt work at all, but fortunately for us, i think it is.

im not sure about the sunlight, as ive never heard that, but i dont think a tanning bed will do the trick. ive been tanning while bfing and that is totally safe, but never have exposed my nipples. im guessing they would burn and give you more pain then cure.

i wish i would have tried a natural remedy first bc i hate the thought of putting medication into my daughters body at 2 months. another lady on here had told me to use vinegar diluted in water (as i see another poster had said to do that as well) ive yet to try it, i will when our medication time is up if its still with us. ive also read that grapeseed oil extract is good. might be acidic for your baby, but might work out for you. ive also heard the genetian violet and i was going to try that myself, and again as a first time mom i read up on everything and read that it causes mouth cancer. whether its true or not, like anything else you hear, who knows. but i would suggest to try the vinegar. thats what ive heard the most.

but definitely do something fast bc you can give it back and fourth to you and your baby. such as i gave it to my daughter.

HTH let me know what you choose to do and good luck!

Lilypie1stBirthdayTicker

oh_sparks
by on Nov. 25, 2007 at 5:33 PM
it seems tht a lot of people are under the impression that thrush is caused by  bacteria. it's a fungus, guys.

adrians_mommy
by on Nov. 25, 2007 at 5:38 PM
here in bremerton theres plenty of sun lol! but i have no idea. i would think antibiotics would work better, or maybe one of those new lights for seasonal depressioon would probably work better and safer than a tanning bed!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Lyndseysmom808
by on Nov. 25, 2007 at 5:41 PM
wow, I'm glad to see someone else say that about nystatin. my daughter took it three times for thrush at the end of the bottle it looked a little better, then about two days later she would have it again so bad. She is now taken Diflucan. I really think you might need to get something to treat you and your child.
Quoting gdiamante:

Never heard of sunlight as a cure. And even if it worked...tanning beds cause more problems than they solve.

Lots of great natural cures on kellymom.com.

I'm not fond of Nystatin. I've seen it make things worse rather than better too many times, because it has sugar that feeds the yeast.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN