Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Newbie needing help! ***UPDATED AGAIN*** ***This may be it for us***

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 3:05 PM
  • 50 Replies

Hi ladies! DD is one month and going through a growth spurt that my supply just isn't keeping up with. I've tried fenugreek and lactation cookies, but nothing seems to help. My LC recommended pumping after every feeding, but I have 3 other kids at home and just cannot find time (mostly bc of my 19 month old climbing everything while im feeding DD). Can you ladies help me out with some suggestions? DD is our last baby and I really want EBF to work this time. Thanks in advance!!

******UPDATE*****

I saw my LC again Friday. She was also concerned about my supply. I was instructed to pump and feed baby the expressed milk for a full day, just to see how much I was producing. I am only pulling out about 1/2 oz to 1oz from each breast every two hours. After sleeping all night without pumping I only produce 2oz in the morning. I have taken fenugreek, tried the mothers milk tea, and lactation cookies. What else can I do. Obviously 1/2 - 1oz is not enough for a five week old to thrive, as she has only gained 5 grams in nearly a week. Please help!

****UPDATE*****

So Baby girl is now 7 weeks old! Today was our first weight check in since January 27th, and she has gained 4oz in those two weeks. It is significantly better than her previous weight checks. Her diaper count is great, and after a 15 minute feeding today during the weight check she had taken about 2oz, so I know she is eating enough. Any ideas on what could be keeping her from gaining weight?

*****NEW UPDATE***** May 2, 2012

Baby girl is 4 months now. We have been supplementing for nearly 2 months. She began gaining weight and put on nearly 2lbs in that two months, but today at her weight check she had lost 5oz. (She was up to 9lbs last week and now 8lbs 9oz) I feel terrible.

* A little backstory * - We thought she was tongue tied so got a referral to the ENT who said shes not (no lip tie either). The day we went for that appt the new dr. (an IBCLC) suggested the supplements. During the first 3 weeks of supplements baby girl refused to use the SNS. She HATED that tube in her mouth so much that she would refuse to nurse for fear of it being stuck in her mouth again. We tried cup feeding, and spoon feeding. She wouldnt have it. She would choke herself. So we used a bottle (slowest flow nipple available). She then developed a nipple preference, at this point we were down to nursing maybe 3 times a day at best, and only when she was so tired she didnt notice. Since then we have been working our way back to nursing every 2-3 hours with a 2oz supplement after (this took several weeks to accomplish). Things were going really great for about a week until our weight check today.

The new dr (Not the IBCLC) wants her strictly formula fed now. =( She says baby girl is just not holding onto enough calories to gain sufficiently. And instead of staying home enjoying my baby we are stuck with weekly weight checks that I dont want to go to. I know you will all say "just dont go then" but its not that simple. While the Air Force cant force me to take her, my husband can get in trouble for 'neglecting her healthcare'. This sucks. I just dont know what else to do. I dont want to give up breastfeeding.

by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama02040608
by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 3:13 PM
What is telling you supply isn't there? If she's having enough dipes, supply is fine. Growth spurts are wicked and can really try a mom. My advice is to get a sling and learn how to nurse in it or childproof one room and nurse there until the spurt is over. I understand your frustration. I am a mom of 4 and my kids are 9,7,6, and 3. So I had the 19mo climbing every thing with the 3yo engineering the escape as I nursed the newborn :) hang in there!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AFWifeNMommy04
by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 3:19 PM
She seems to have enough wet diapers, but doesn't seem content even after nursing on both sides for 15-20 (sometimes longer 30-45 on both sides) minutes, and she is having trouble gaining weight.

My living room is pretty well baby proofed, and my 5yr does try to help keep his brother off of things. Getting used to four kids is like living in a circus! LOL
mama02040608
by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 3:47 PM
Define trouble gaining. Sometimes doctors have inflated expectations of gain. Satisfied is a relative term when used to describe a newborn :) what you're describing is normal growth spurt behavior and will pass.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AFWifeNMommy04
by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 4:47 PM
Well, she is one month already and still has not reached her birth weight. She is still 4-5oz away. That's not something I'm overly concerned about bc all 3 of my boys were on formula and all of them gained weight very slowly. My 19mo is only 21 lbs. I was only really concerned bc she nevers seems satisfied after eating, that coupled with her low weight made me worry a bit.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 25, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Quoting AFWifeNMommy04:

Well, she is one month already and still has not reached her birth weight. She is still 4-5oz away. That's not something I'm overly concerned about bc all 3 of my boys were on formula and all of them gained weight very slowly. My 19mo is only 21 lbs. I was only really concerned bc she nevers seems satisfied after eating, that coupled with her low weight made me worry a bit.

1. Evict the words "content" and "satiosfied" from your vocabulary for the time being. They don't apply to nprmal babies.

2. Birthweight is trivia that you write down and forget, unless you want to impress your friends with how much you can push out of an opening that's usually teeny tiny. **grin** L:OWEST weight is what matters, and at four weeks of age she should be 12-18 ounces over that lowest weight.

I see nothing yet to indicate a supply problem... just relax and count dipes.

AFWifeNMommy04
by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 7:32 PM

BUMP!

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2012 at 7:41 PM
Sorry but that LC gave bad advice. Pump output does not show you what your true milk supply is.

How many times is baby nursing in 24 hours?

Has baby been evaluated for tongue tie?

Are you on hormonal birth control? Do you have PCOS? Low thyroid?
fahmom
by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 8:02 PM
Pump output does not mean anything in the means on how much baby is getting. Baby is way more efficient than a pump any day. Why would you go all night without pumping? Hopefully you were nursing instead. Your pump outputs are good and very normal. You should be giving baby 2 oz bottles every 2 hours if you choose to pump and not nurse. If I were you I would put away the pump and let baby nurse on demand. Its a supply and demand system. The more your baby nurses the more your boobs know to make.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonicaV1982
by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 8:11 PM

What certification level does your LC have? It's sad when those that are supposed to be experts also spout bad advice. It makes it so much harder for the good advice to win out.

melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 29, 2012 at 8:18 PM

As pp your pumping outputs don't show how much baby is eating. Most moms respond best to babies. Some moms can't pump anything. Growth spurts can be very challenging and trying.

Watch for diaper counts. The more bottles you give the more your body thinks its meeting the needs of the baby, and it will only sabotage your supply.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)