Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Time to start looking into pumps!

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:22 AM
  • 15 Replies

I go to school full time and will take off a week or two when the baby is born, but I will have to go back to class eventually.  I BF my son until 2 years and 9 months and I want to allow this one to self wean as well.  Blake got sick the couple times that he was goven formula so I want to EBF no exceptions.

So what are some of the better pumps out there?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdrager
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I have a medela and I really like it. I think they are $200-$300 in stores. Some insurance companies will pay for you to get one too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kelly617
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a Medela Pump in Style Advance and I love it
Comes in a tote, with some bottles and a little cooler so its the total set up and i seem to get more milk from that pump than any of the others I tried

Good luck in school!

kelly617
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh I forgot to add that I had my doctor write me a prescription and I went into a medical supply store and they billed my insurance...I only had to pay a $20 copay or something for it...so see if your insurance will cover a pump (my doc listed my diagnosis as "lactation disorder" so the insurance would cover it)

gdrager
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:31 AM
My doc did the same thing. I also have that same pump.

Quoting kelly617:

Oh I forgot to add that I had my doctor write me a prescription and I went into a medical supply store and they billed my insurance...I only had to pay a $20 copay or something for it...so see if your insurance will cover a pump (my doc listed my diagnosis as "lactation disorder" so the insurance would cover it)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:34 AM

My favorites are Medela Pump In Style and Ameda Purely Yours.. :o) 

GoodyBrook
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:50 AM
Sounds like you'll be needing a double electric if you'll be pumping a couple times a day if you're at class... I have a Medela Symphony. Love it!
MissMia22
by Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Yes I am thinking double electric and some sort of cooler system. :)

jj_horn2004
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Oopsie, I thought we were gonna be discussing different kinda pumps here LOLsidesplittinglaughter

Group owner of "Losing Weight On The Paleo Diet"  Come join me =)

laurenb1
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:20 PM
I couldn't ebf but I did bf as much as I could without supplementing. I rented a hospital pump from wic but my sister used the medela pump in style and said its awesome!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gailll
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:30 PM

A week or two just isn't enough time time to take off. I doubt your doctor and school will approve you going back to school that soon. When I wanted to go back to college after my baby was born my doctor wouldn't sign the papers until I stopped bleeding. That can take 4 weeks or more. If you are going to high school they would have rules about how soon you can return.

It takes 4-6 weeks to establish breastfeeding even if you have breastfed before. I always went to college while my babies were still nursing and I scheduled my classes so I would be gone less than 3 hours at a time so that my baby wouldn't need any bottles. You may be able to take some or all courses online.

If you are in high school there may be special programs or schools that you can go to that minimize the amount of time you are away from your baby. You may be able to courses online.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)