• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cows milk?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:06 AM
  • 12 Replies
My dd is 13 months EBF and she's never been away from me. Hubby and I are thinking about leaving her for a few hours with MIL so we can go out for Valentines day. She doesn't take a bottle but she does drink water out of a cup. I have tried pumping in the past but I don't get much. :/ I was wondering if I left her whole milk would it be ok. Has any one ever done it? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Johariz
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:17 AM
I'd leave some almond milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumsTheWord571
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:19 AM
If you are only going to be away a few hours nurse her & leave. She can have food & water. I wouldn't start cows milk or almond milk unless she's already had it before. Nurse when you return.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
comf
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:33 AM
Honestly I would not give cow milk. We drink rice milk with cereal or maybe a glass with cookies but that's it. Cow milk has a lot of big molecules and is full of hormones. My hubby likes to get the natural non-homogenized cream top cow milk sometimes, but even then I still think its unnecessary. He says he will quit having the occasional glass of cow milk if I will pump for him LOL but I hate pumping so he is stuck paying 6 bucks a gallon for the Supernatural brand!

Sorry for the long rant, to answer your question I think water and some banana or sweet potatoes would be fine :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
proudmum23
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:59 AM
I've gave it to her a few times but she didn't really like it. Is almond milk healthier?

Quoting MumsTheWord571:

If you are only going to be away a few hours nurse her & leave. She can have food & water. I wouldn't start cows milk or almond milk unless she's already had it before. Nurse when you return.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
proudmum23
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:01 AM
Thanks and I'll def. try it.

Quoting comf:

Honestly I would not give cow milk. We drink rice milk with cereal or maybe a glass with cookies but that's it. Cow milk has a lot of big molecules and is full of hormones. My hubby likes to get the natural non-homogenized cream top cow milk sometimes, but even then I still think its unnecessary. He says he will quit having the occasional glass of cow milk if I will pump for him LOL but I hate pumping so he is stuck paying 6 bucks a gallon for the Supernatural brand!

Sorry for the long rant, to answer your question I think water and some banana or sweet potatoes would be fine :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:12 AM

If she has never had whole milk I would not leave it.  At her age nursing 3 times a day is enough not to need extra milk.  Just leave the water and some solids and go out and have fun!

drealu
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:14 AM
I personally have no issus with organic cows milk. It doesnt have extra hormones in it. My 14 mo loves it. He still nurses too. How long will you be gone? I would think the solids she is eating would be enough, with water. We had to ease Coen into whole milk to make sure his belly would ok with it.
mich.el.le
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:20 AM

If you aren't going to be gone more than a few hours (or even several) then I would just leave her some food and water.  She'll be ok. :) 

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:14 AM
You can nurse right before you leave and just leave her with foods and water and she should be fine. I left my son at that age for up to 10 hours once a week without any milk and he was fine until I got back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starreyedcutie
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:04 AM
Warm milk with a drop of vanilla or chocolate sauce
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)