Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Steel cut oatmeal?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:29 AM
  • 6 Replies
I know a lot of you eat oatmeal and some eat this type. My question is how do you get the dang stuff cooked without it going dry in the pot while functioning in the morning!!! I am up at 6, get dressed, downstairs by 6:40, daycare kiddos start arriving at 6:45 then breakfast for them. Sometime in there I put my water on, I try to keep a good eye on it but so many times I have looked over and had to add water because its all evaporated and the oats are sticking! BTW I am eating it because its healthy not to necessarily increase supply. Thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I use the quick made kind..they are still steel cut ones, I got them at walmart.  Takes less time and worry

brittanyx22
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:39 AM
Ive never had a problem .. I just follow the directions so Im not sure what you could be doing wrong. Sorry!
hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:49 AM
I didn't know they had quick ones, that is great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cmack40487
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:51 AM
Yeah, McCann's makes a quick cooking steel cut oat, I don't have 30 minutes to stand over the stove. I do use the whole oat groats sometimes, I cook them in the crockpot overnight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Soak it over night.  Use the amount of water you need to cook the oats.  In the morning, add about a half cup water (or milk :-).

hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:43 AM
Thanks for the ideas! Hopefully this will make my mornings easier :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)