Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In pain...help?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:09 PM
  • 8 Replies
Sunday morning I woke up laying on my stomach and noticed my right breast had an obvious blocked duct. The whole putter portion and bottom of my breast was (and still is) red and hot to touch.
I put my six week old DD to breast and pumped and by the end of the day I had pumped stringy mucusy milk and what looked like a plug coming out of my nipple (this is still Sunday).
Ever since then the hardness, pain and hot spot on my breast has remained. And ever since yesterday when I put DD to breast the initial latch on is very sore and when DD sucks it feels like someone is pulling on the hard spot but i also have a sharp burning feeling that lasts the entire nursing session and about thirty minutes after in the spot of the block.
An I doing something wrong? I'm also using heat several times a day. Also, if the duct is unblocked how long does it take for the pain to go away?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
esbucksix
by Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:28 PM

sounds like mastitis.....you may want to call your dr and explain the situation. yo might need something to help the infection..........keep warm compresses on the area too......

Rainray2
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:19 PM
Thanks for the reply!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RozyMama
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:34 PM
It can stay red and painful for several days after the clog is cleared. Continue the massage, heat, nursing and it should improve. Call your doc if you start feeling flu-like or develop a fever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RozyMama
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:35 PM
Also have you tried dangle-nursing? It's exactly what it sounds like- dangle booby over baby and let her and gravity work that clog out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starreyedcutie
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:56 PM
Seriously grind your fists down your breast over the clog too and express.bm...use heat and hot showers. That's what I dis. I did it several times a day and mine went away
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rainray2
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:05 PM
So theres no limit on the pressure I can put on that hard lump?
Thanks for the reply!

Quoting starreyedcutie:

Seriously grind your fists down your breast over the clog too and express.bm...use heat and hot showers. That's what I dis. I did it several times a day and mine went away

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rainray2
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:10 PM
I have not but will now!

Quoting RozyMama:

Also have you tried dangle-nursing? It's exactly what it sounds like- dangle booby over baby and let her and gravity work that clog out.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Daynaof3
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 3:05 AM
Within reason, too much can increase swelling. Do a firm massage of the area. You should have improvement within 24-48 hours after symptoms started and if not you need to see the doctor. Putting it off can lead to worse things, yes, it can get worse. Update us when you can, sorry you are in pain. Btdt, unfortunately! =(

Quoting Rainray2:

So theres no limit on the pressure I can put on that hard lump?

Thanks for the reply!

Quoting starreyedcutie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)