• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i got reglan!!!!!!!

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:34 PM
  • 10 Replies
So I got Mastitis about 3 or 4 wks ago. It sucked, and really hurt my supply I even had to get and use donor milk because dd was not making her diaper count, she didn't even pee for 12 hrs so it was time to supplament. Since then I haven't been able to get a "supply" in the freezer at all,and I NEED at least 1 bottle for my Bio class that just started. she also hasn't been gaining. She is barly making daily diaper count and is just seeming, well, behind. She has been at 13 lbs 12 oz for 3 wks.
Today I got my thyroid checked, and begged my doc for Reglan! And she gave me it! so YAY! I pick it up in an hour and hopefully in the next few days my supply goes up, she is happy, starts gaining and I hope to get 6 oz in the freezer so I don't have to supplament while at school.

And she is 5 months.

Ps, yes this is after all the "nursing vacation days" herbs (fg and bt) mothers milk tea, mm tincture, and my placenta pills. So I did try other stuff first. And I can't use domperidon (sp??) Because of my heart murmur.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nur87tosh08
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Good luck. Watch out for any signs of depression.

13/12 is a darned good weight for five months so don't worry on that score, unless baby's lowest weight was higher than 8/12. One pound per month average and they WILL plateau here and there.

Babyshoe
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Good luck :) Be careful with reglan...keep an eye on side effects. I had it early in my pregnancy for hyperemesis and it gave me terrible diarrea. Also, it made me really anxious and fidgety, but I was on it for less than 24 hours. I was advised to stop it, even though I would have anyways. While these reactions aren't common, I've heard of these reactions from a number of other women as well. Best of luck!!!

fairygirl_13
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:46 PM
Its not so much the weight its self, my first was only 10 lbs at 6 mo, but its the total lack of gain, and the diaper count dropping pretty much in half, and is at the minimum per day now, that was my red flag of supply actually being lower than it was.

I will watch for depression, but this is the 5th time between 3 kids I have used it for supply, and I never noticed any side effects before when on it.

Quoting gdiamante:

Good luck. Watch out for any signs of depression.

13/12 is a darned good weight for five months so don't worry on that score, unless baby's lowest weight was higher than 8/12. One pound per month average and they WILL plateau here and there.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gailll
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Reglan can be a dangerous drug. An estimated 1 in 500 people that take the drug will have Parkinsonslike side effects that can last forever. I think that is a big risk. I was on the birth control pill and got pulmonary emboli in both lungs. I was lucky that I got to the hospital and treatment was started in less than an hour. One PE could have killed me. I have experience a drug side effect and know you shouldn't just dismiss it as something that won't happen to you.

Your daughter is good size for 5 months. Why have you been so concerned about supply that you have been doing diaper counts and weekly weights? If a mom gets sick and a baby doesn't get enough milk for a few days it usually doesn't mean that the baby needs donor milk or formula. The baby has extra fat/fluids for times like that. The baby will nurse more and make up for it later. Having mastitis shouldn't have made you have less milk. You should have more milk from going to bed with baby and frequent nursing.

It sounds like you are making breastfeeding be medical or prescribed with concern about watching diapers and scales and taking herbs and drugs. There is another way to breastfeed where you believe in your breasts ability to breastfeed and your baby's ability to know what to do just like babies have always known what to do. It is a much more relaxed style of mothering. When I started nursing my first I had been a medical professional and approached breastfeeding from more of a medical perspective. I enjoyed breastfeeding so much more when I changed my paradigm.  

Since your baby is 5 months she is old enough to learn how to drink from a sipply cup while you are at class so you don't have to worry about problems with bottles. You can start banana, avacado, or sweet potato soon and your baby could eat solids while you are at class and depending on how long you are gone you may not need to leave milk. Good Luck! 

aidyns_mommy
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:06 PM
Goodluck I took it for a couple days and hated it. Made me super anxious like I was crawling in my own skin & also made me have uncontrollable body movements, as well as I could not sit still.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fairygirl_13
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:41 PM
My past 2 I had growth issues with and struggled to nurse. Because of my history we had been watching her weight weekly. If a baby doesn't pee for 12 hours it is dehydration and they do need supplementation.

This is the first one I didn't need a drug to make my milk come in in the first place. Between Thyroid issues and PCOS, I am really lucky that she has only had 30 oz of donor milk in her 5 months of life.
The Mastitis did tank my supply and does every time I have had it no matter how frequently I nurse or pump. Once I had it so bad I was hospitalized and on an IV antibiotic for 2 nights and almost lost a breast.

This is my 3rd breastfed baby, I have always struggled with supply, this is the least I have out of the 3 but now that she is acting different, not having even close to the same amount of diapers, not gaining, and almost looks like her skin is loose.

I am glad that that parenting style works for you, but its not that easy for some people, and acting like it is EASY for everyone is part of what damages Lactivists Reputations. Not trying to be mean, just saying.

And at 5 months old she is not ready for solids. I have let her near my plate and she isn't even interested, I tried to give her some mashed up banana on a spoon this morning and it was rejected right away lol. I had hoped to get to the point of solids while in class. Its 1 day a week but 5 hours with travel, so I most likely will need to have 1 bottle pumped each class the whole semester.

I understand the side effects, and have never had em(knock on wood) so I am going with what I feel is safest, reglan for me over formula for her or the other drug because my heart murmur.

Quoting Gailll:

Reglan can be a dangerous drug. An estimated 1 in 500 people that take the drug will have Parkinsonslike side effects that can last forever. I think that is a big risk. I was on the birth control pill and got pulmonary emboli in both lungs. I was lucky that I got to the hospital and treatment was started in less than an hour. One PE could have killed me. I have experience a drug side effect and know you shouldn't just dismiss it as something that won't happen to you.

Your daughter is good size for 5 months. Why have you been so concerned about supply that you have been doing diaper counts and weekly weights? If a mom gets sick and a baby doesn't get enough milk for a few days it usually doesn't mean that the baby needs donor milk or formula. The baby has extra fat/fluids for times like that. The baby will nurse more and make up for it later. Having mastitis shouldn't have made you have less milk. You should have more milk from going to bed with baby and frequent nursing.

It sounds like you are making breastfeeding be medical or prescribed with concern about watching diapers and scales and taking herbs and drugs. There is another way to breastfeed where you believe in your breasts ability to breastfeed and your baby's ability to know what to do just like babies have always known what to do. It is a much more relaxed style of mothering. When I started nursing my first I had been a medical professional and approached breastfeeding from more of a medical perspective. I enjoyed breastfeeding so much more when I changed my paradigm.  

Since your baby is 5 months she is old enough to learn how to drink from a sipply cup while you are at class so you don't have to worry about problems with bottles. You can start banana, avacado, or sweet potato soon and your baby could eat solids while you are at class and depending on how long you are gone you may not need to leave milk. Good Luck! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silka08
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Good luck OP :-)

Gaill...babies should not be given solids before 6 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Babyshoe
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Sorry I didn't see that you already took it before. Glad it doesn't affect you the same way it does for me :) Good luck!!!

Zacksmama82411
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this
yay! someone else is on it! ive been on it for 13 days and have doubled my supply! no side effects either :) i was barely able to keep up with feedings, now i have 69 oz in my freezer :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)