Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This group is awesome!

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:44 PM
  • 12 Replies

I've been a member of this group for 3 weeks now and I feel I learned so much!  You would think that nursing is the most natural thing in the world but its hard at times.  I wish I had this group two years ago with my daughter.  Maybe I would have lasted longer than 4 months. 

I have very little breastfeeding support.  My mom didn't breastfeed, but she encourages me to continue.  My husband on the other hand has 3 other kids before me and none of them were breastfed.  So he doesn't really understand.  I misplaced my pump from two years ago and I kept telling him that we needed another one he kept asking, "Why Can't we Just use Formula?"   I let him have it and lets just say he doesn't ask that question anymore. 

I don't know how you ladies do it.  I keep hearing momma's talking about waking up 3 times a night to nurse.  I would be a walking zombie the next day at work.  My LO does not wake up until 4:30 or 5 and she goes to sleep around 10 or 11 and I'm extremely tiered the next day at work.  I have to wake up 45 minutes early to pump and to now get 2 kids ready.  Thank God they are just going to my mom's. 

I think I'm going to have to stop taking fenugreek.  I'm a borderline diabetic and I read that diabetics shouldn't take it.  I haven't taken it all week and I found that my supply has slowed about an ounce.  Before I would pump 8oz in the morning now its 7.  When I'm at work I used to pump 7 oz and now its 6.  You get the picture.  My mom told me to start back checking my sugar.  If everything is good then continue to take it. 

I know this is long just needed to talk before my students come back to class. 

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Waking 3 times?!   lol... that was a breeze!   It's the waking every 1-2 hours that makes you a zombie.   As to how... I co-sleep.  I would be a zombie without co-sleeping!  :)

Your pump output is fantastic... you obviously don't need fenugreek!   You get more than enough for the whole day in just those two pump sessions!    Super jealous over here... I used to fight to just get 2-3 oz to leave a bottle when I had to get my hair done! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I am so glad this group has helped you alot.

I am concerned that your baby MAY be overfed though.  How much are you pumping daily? How much is baby taking? if you are pumping13-14oz in a day then you are making enough for a 12-14 hour day...how long are your workdays?

mommy2Alyssa24
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Waking 3 times?!   lol... that was a breeze!   It's the waking every 1-2 hours that makes you a zombie.   As to how... I co-sleep.  I would be a zombie without co-sleeping!  :)

Your pump output is fantastic... you obviously don't need fenugreek!   You get more than enough for the whole day in just those two pump sessions!    Super jealous over here... I used to fight to just get 2-3 oz to leave a bottle when I had to get my hair done! 

I was surprised this time around.  I kept formula away this time.  She had one formula bottle when I was in still in the recovery room after my c-section.  My mom gave it to her.  She said the baby was crying like crazy.  Then I gave her one my last day in the hospital because the nurse said she was getting a little yellow.  Last time my mom kept saying she didn't think the baby was getting enough milk and would give her formula.  We have our own place this time and didn't have that issue. 

brittany.m.hall
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 5:17 AM

BUMP!

mommy2Alyssa24
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:12 AM

BUMP!

larissalarie
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Yikes, sounds like you have oversupply and definitely don't need the fenugreek. Just those two pumping sessions alone would be enough for a 13 hour workday!

(and sleeping with the baby is how you handle it when baby wakes frequently at night....that and caffeine!)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:14 PM
This! And what Tabi said. Can you answer Tabi's questions for us?

Quoting larissalarie:

Yikes, sounds like you have oversupply and definitely don't need the fenugreek. Just those two pumping sessions alone would be enough for a 13 hour workday!

(and sleeping with the baby is how you handle it when baby wakes frequently at night....that and caffeine!)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Ditto the others! The only way I was NOT a zombie is we bedshare(d), so I slept while he nursed. As for the fenugreek doesn't sound  like you need it anyway. That is a huge pump output. Normal pump out put in one session from both breasts total is 1/2-2 oz & you're way above that! As the others said  you could be overfeeding baby. I'm jealous though, I didn't respond to the pump & was lucky to get sweat drops after 20 minutes of pumping!

mommy2Alyssa24
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:26 PM

My work days are about 8 hours, but i'm gone all day.   My husband works 11 hours a day so i don't get home until he gets off.  I go to my mom's house with the kids until its time to pick him up.   We leave our house at 7 a.m.  and dont get back in until 7 p.m.

Quoting aehanrahan:

This! And what Tabi said. Can you answer Tabi's questions for us?

Quoting larissalarie:

mommy2Alyssa24
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Quoting larissalarie:

I'm just happy that I'm getting enough.  I was worried about my supply drying up when I went back to work.   I pumped at 10 when I took my students to lunch and got 4 ozs and just pumped again and got 3 ozs.   

So many of my teacher friends said that their milk dried up when they went back to work because we don't have time to pump every 2 hours.  I just do it when I can.  2 years ago I was kind of scared to pump at work.  I was afraid that the janitor would come in or something.  This time around I put something over the window and lock the door.  I refuse to buy formula. 

I think I'm going to stop taking the fenugreek for good.  I don't want my sugar to go up then have to go on meds for that. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)