Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 week old ebf baby not pooping as much as before?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:12 PM
  • 9 Replies

My daughter is 3 weeks and 2 days old today. She is ebf and has been since she was born. She used to have tons of poopy diapers every day. Last week she started nursing more often but was still having poopy diapers and plenty of wets and I know I have milk because I can hear her swallowing and I soak through my clothes still when she latches onto the other side. She is still having tons of wet diapers every day (I joke to my hubby that she pees as much as a grown person) but she hasn't been having as many poopy diapers. She still has usually like 2 but is this ok? I have 3 other kids but she is the first one that has been ebf. I am pretty sure she is gaining weight. She had gained back her birth weight and 2 extra ounces at her 10 day appointment. She was 9lbs 1oz at birth and 9lbs 3oz at 10 days old. She eats about every 2 hours still but then does this big long feed during the evening where she will eat for like 2 hours straight but then sleeps for a four hour chunk, wakes up and feeds again and then sleeps again for about 3 hours. Does it sound like she is doing ok or am I doing something wrong??

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LKRA
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:30 PM

"She is still having tons of wet diapers every day (I joke to my hubby that she pees as much as a grown person)"

You answered your own question. :)

She's fine. Everything is fine. Poop is waste and, because breastmilk is easily digestible, breastfed babies don't have to poop as much as other people. :)

AndiDurall
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Thank you! I think I'm just so used to being able to see how much she is getting with my eyes that I'm still adjusting to feeling a little out of control. She pees a whole lot. She seems happy for the most part. She wants to eat all the time but after about 10 minutes at the breast, she is usually just holding it in her mouth while she sleeps or looks around. If she falls asleep, I unlatch her and burp her and offer the other breast. Sometimes she takes it but sometimes she is out. I keep telling myself that she wouldn't be sleeping well or having such good awake, looking around times if she was starving. :D

Quoting LKRA:

"She is still having tons of wet diapers every day (I joke to my hubby that she pees as much as a grown person)"

She's fine. Everything is fine. Poop is waste and, because breastmilk is easily digestible, breastfed babies don't have to poop as much as other people. :)

WILCOX2005
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:41 PM

it sounds like you are doing just sine she is eating well sleeping well wet diapers good on adverage dr's say at least 3 poopy (if you get wic they should have a magnet of something that would help you out or even just going in and talking to some one there might help you feel a bit better). from my stand point you seem to be doing just fine.

07lilmama1108
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:57 PM
Ds stopped pooping at every diaper change at around 3weeks. He's 4 weeks today and has 4-6 poopy diapers instead of the 10+ he was having. I'm very relieved!! :) as long as shes wetting 6 diapers a day shes fine :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AndiDurall
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Well she is definitely having more than 6 wet diapers a day. She pees a lot!! If I change her before she nurses and get busy with the other 3 kids and don't get a chance to change her until before the next nursing session a couple of hours later, her diaper is sooo heavy with pee! My hubby says that her wet diapers are usually heavier than our 2 year olds. I knew they usually wanted so many poopy diapers in a day and I was worried that she wasn't getting enough I guess. I knew she was not dehydrated with all the peeing but like I said, I'm used to formula babies. My 2 year old was breast and bottle fed and I am used to seeing a measurement on a bottle.

LKRA
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:05 PM

But you CAN tell how much she's getting with your eyes.

If it makes you feel better, put a plastic bag near her changing station, and use it for 24 hours worth of diapers. If, after 24 hours, you see 6 or more diapers in there (and remember: a "wet" diaper is 2 tablespoons of water; heavier diapers count as double or triple), then you're good to go.

You're doing great, you know. Everything you're doing is spot-on. Some kids eat fast, others take their time. When my son was wee, he was a "get in and get out" kinda eater. lol Now that he's older, he dillydallys. :)

Just count those diapers and don't worry. :)

In the future she may go DAYS without pooping. Don't freak. As long as she's not in any pain, she's fine. And beware: when she DOES decide to poop, it will be a MESS. :)

Quoting AndiDurall:

Thank you! I think I'm just so used to being able to see how much she is getting with my eyes that I'm still adjusting to feeling a little out of control. She pees a whole lot. She seems happy for the most part. She wants to eat all the time but after about 10 minutes at the breast, she is usually just holding it in her mouth while she sleeps or looks around. If she falls asleep, I unlatch her and burp her and offer the other breast. Sometimes she takes it but sometimes she is out. I keep telling myself that she wouldn't be sleeping well or having such good awake, looking around times if she was starving. :D

Quoting LKRA:

TattoodMommy19
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:46 PM

my dd is two months old, ebf and only poops twice a week! She sounds fine. =)

boshs1andonly
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:04 PM

i got freaked out the first time dd was like this, and it was right about the same time as your dd. i was so glad to know that it's normal, and now when she goes a couple of days without pooping i don't worry about it. 

CafeMom Tickers
kelly617
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:12 PM

NORMAL!!!
My son only poo's every 3 or 4 days...
Breast milk is so specialized for them and so efficient that there isn't much waste for them to poop out

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)