Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

still having problems

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:30 PM
  • 18 Replies

Now he's hardly nursing at all with out screaming. He only nurses for like 5 min and then screams and won't take anymore. I need some really good advice on how to get him to nurse. Is it possible for him to b done in 5 minutes. I haven't given him a bottle all day. Trying really hard not to have to wean him since he's only 7 weeks old.

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
quiltingmom77
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I don't think he is full after 5 minutes. Have you tried burping him after a few minutes of nursing?

Has anything in your diet changed? Sometimes what you eat goes in the milk and he may not like the flavor. I could not eat anything even mildly spicy or he would refuse to eat. Also watch what soap you are using around you aureola's..they can taste it. Just rinse that area with warm water when you are in the shower.

I would also recommend to try and find a nursing consultant or maybe  a wic office. They were a huge help when I first started BF'ing.

Good luck and keep us posted!

mama_grizz
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:36 PM
He won't starve himself. I'm not sure what you can do, but when my ds wouldn't nurse the one day he gave me trouble, I expressed some straight into his mouth. Not a lot, but enough that he got with the program. He was much younger though, only a few days old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambh11
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:50 PM

hes been giving me a problem for 3 days i dont kno what to do I am to the point where I just want to quit.  I dont use soap around areola area and i try to burp him everytime he comes off. I have tried switching breast when he comes of to the other one too and starts screaming.  My diet hasnt changed at all.  I dont eat spicy and i dont do much diary.  I just dont kno what to do anymore.  

erinladybug
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:59 PM
Have you tried a change of location, maybe a warm bath with him will help. I've heard of people having luck getting babes to latch while bathing with them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambh11
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Yep Ive tried that too

HoBo86
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Im coming on thos late so maybe this has been suggested, but do you have overactive letdown/ oversupply? i did and my dd would only eat for about 5 minutes tops then cry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ckroch
by Colleen on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:47 PM
Have u tried laid back nursing?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Have you taken your diet down to the very boring basics?

It is possible he has an intolerance, allergy, etc to something.  If you go down to things that are baked with not much spice, rice, grains, etc, then slowly add in other foods you might catch him reacting to something.  Sometimes leafy or dark veggies can make milk taste funny, or even give baby some gas!  My DS wouldn't let me eat cabbage or brussel sprouts until he was weaned.

Have you checked for over active letdown or oversupply?

Has he been checked for any oral deformities?  Nursing could be frustrating if he is tongue tied or has another minor issue.

Have you talked to a lactation consultant?  Most labor and delivery departments, or even your OB could direct you to the local ones.

If things get desperate, express some milk by hand or with a pump after feeding him, then use a dropper to trickle extra milk in his mouth.  That way he won't get nipple confusion.

BTW, many ladies give great advice based on weights and diaper counts!  Can you list his weights from birth to now, and let us know how many diapers he is having?

ambh11
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM

So u think he is getting enough in that short amount of time.  I do have over active let down but its always taken him about  20 minutes to eat and not all of a sudden its only like 5, is this normal.  I was so ready to quit becasue I think hes not getting enough.  Im still having a problem at night before bed time so hes still getting a bottle then he seems so much more satisfied with the bottle at that time.

ambh11
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:58 PM

He was 6 lbs 13 oz at birth and hes 10 lbs 10oz  now .  and i have anywhere from 6-10 diapers a day and he will b 8 weeks on saturday

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Have you taken your diet down to the very boring basics?

It is possible he has an intolerance, allergy, etc to something.  If you go down to things that are baked with not much spice, rice, grains, etc, then slowly add in other foods you might catch him reacting to something.  Sometimes leafy or dark veggies can make milk taste funny, or even give baby some gas!  My DS wouldn't let me eat cabbage or brussel sprouts until he was weaned.

Have you checked for over active letdown or oversupply?

Has he been checked for any oral deformities?  Nursing could be frustrating if he is tongue tied or has another minor issue.

Have you talked to a lactation consultant?  Most labor and delivery departments, or even your OB could direct you to the local ones.

If things get desperate, express some milk by hand or with a pump after feeding him, then use a dropper to trickle extra milk in his mouth.  That way he won't get nipple confusion.

BTW, many ladies give great advice based on weights and diaper counts!  Can you list his weights from birth to now, and let us know how many diapers he is having?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)