Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ergo vs. Beco Butterfly... discuss!

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:41 PM
  • 10 Replies

I want to get a soft carrier... I currently use a Moby, which I love, but I know summer is coming and my baby is a sweaty one...

The difference I see is the Beco can be worn with baby facing in or out on front. The Ergo cannot. How important is this when baby is bigger or toddler? I am a FTM, so I am new to this!

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyofblueyes
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I have had a Beco butterfly 2, and Ergo.  I don't think the beco butterfly 2 allows for baby facing out though, so I am not much help, and I like them equally.  ;0)

Babyshoe
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Good question! I've been wondering the same thing! I have an Ergo, but an considering a mei tai or beco. I love that the beco butterfly has inner layer of clothing so she's strapped in. Makes me more comfortable throwing baby in my back. I'm not comfortble doing that yet (until they're older, which I've done in the ergo). THanks for the post, I can't wait to see everyone's opinions :)

erinladybug
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:05 PM
Here's a great comparison chart. http://www.theportablebaby.com/carrierfeatures.html
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
srbtab1999
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:12 PM
Only the beco gemini you can carry with baby facing out and that one doesnt have the piece of material between you and babyblike the butterfly. From what I have heard in the butterfly you can not nurse with baby in it. I have the ergo and I truly love it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I don't like the straps between mom and baby with the beco.   I like to just be able to pop it on and pop baby in... and I like to be able to nurse in it.   I've never used a beco, but I checked out my girlfriends, and it didn't seem like you would be able to nurse in it.

Putting him on my back in the ergo was no problem when he was big enough for it.

The beco doesn't face out that I know of.   There's one called "pikkolo" that does.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
MomtoDavid
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:26 PM

i heard that baby facing in is better for thier spine. an older child is easier to carry on your back so i would look for that.

Babyshoe
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:21 PM

I looked into it and the beco gemini is the only one that faces outward, not the butterfly. On the gemini, you can move the snaps to and inner snap to create a more narrow base. However, then it remind me of the bjorn (known for crotch dangling) and question if it's as good for baby. As another poster said, they recommend facing inward or on the back for the spine. GL :)

ty355172
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:45 PM
I have a moby and just got a beco! I love that its so comfortable but hate the buckles...its great for shopping and walks and longer outings because u barely need to readjust:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommajen32
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:50 PM

I have an Ergo, and love it. We have been all over with it, I don't know why it would be necessary to have the baby facing outward. If s/he falls asleep it's nice that the baby can rest against you and it has the little hood to pull up so their head doesn't bounce around. Inward facing also keeps the wind out of their face, I think. We've been everywhere with it, he's now big enough for back carry which is fun. I don't know much about the Beco so I can't be of help there.

Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Thanks ladies!  It sounds like the Ergo is the better choice for me... easier nursing!  I just didn't know how important facing out was, but I guess if DS doesn't know it's an option, it won't hurt him!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)