Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice fast please!

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:37 PM
  • 7 Replies

My sister in law is having a baby really soon.  She called me this morning telling me she had been leaking A LOT of fluid and it sounded to me like her water was leaking.  She has a Dr appointment this afternoon so we will see what the Dr says about labor or whatnot.  Anyways...on to the story/advice.  This is her first baby, up until this morning I was under the impression that she was going to formula feed but this morning she told me she decided to breastfeed so she can travel with the baby without worrying about formula.  Her husband is from India and they want to take the baby to India to see the family when she is around 9 months old and don't want to mess with formula.  So she is going to breastfeed.  Trouble is, she knows nothing about breastfeeding.  I am the only person she knows that breastfeeds.  Her mom failed Bf with her first 3 kids and gave up with her other 3 and went straight to formula.  Her mom will be staying with her for the first month or so to help with the baby so her only source of advice is a failed breastfeeder who believes in formula.  In fact, her mom (My MIL whom I LOVE by the way) didn't think I'd be able to breastfeed my baby for so long (we are approaching her first birthday here in a few weeks) so I am not sure how supportive she will be, but my SIL needs to BF this baby for the sake of her travels at the very least.

So my question...I need some simple yet highly effective advice to send to her to help her with her goal to breastfeed.  What info should I send her?  What tips and tricks?  I told her about nipple cream today and she had never even heard of it so I'm glad I told her about that - that will be her lifesaver those first few days.  She already has a Medela pump and nursing pads but other than that, she knows nothing about breastfeeding.  I need some simple, condensed info that will help her get through the pain, discouragement, and bad advice from her mom so she can make this work.  Help?

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
slvrbtrfly
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:41 PM
Mostly its instinct. She needs to speak to a lactation consultant when the baby is born. They will help her with the basics, and can help with any issues that may come up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I think the most important info for a new mom is to iniciate nursing as soon as possible, and seek professional help right away if she's having trouble.    Then, avoid bottles until nursing is well established (there are other ways to supplement, if needed).  

Diapers are the best indication of supply... she wants one per day of life up to day 6 and at least 6 after that.    Expect baby to lose weight in week one (up to 10%), and then gain an average of between 4-7oz per week, or a lb per month after that.

As long as baby is making diapers and gaining weight, baby is getting enough milk.   He/she may want to nurse constantly, or only every 3 hours... but it's all normal.    Watch out for growth spurts at 2,3 and/or 6 weeks when baby will nurse constantly.    The more you nurse, the more milk you make. 

AND, get her a good book for all the detailed info for her to look up as needed.   LLL's the womanly art of, or The sears breastfeeding book are good ones, IMO.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
chillemi78
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:01 PM
Without time to go over all the details, make sure she knows all of her resources for quick info whenever she has an issue. Write down or email her links for Kellymom, LLL, this group if she is a CM member. And if you are able, get out and buy her a book or two so she can start reading immediately. That way, if a question comes up, she will know where to look right away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kblpooh
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:02 PM
My lactation consultant gave me a paper with info about breastfeeding for caregivers. I found it very helpful and gave it to my daycare provider and my mom. I will see if I can send it to you on here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:04 PM
Buy the book, "So That's What They're For" on Amazon and have it sent to her. And tell her to join this group now and start reading. I learned SO much just reading other posts while I was pregnant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
comf
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:14 PM
Find a LLL group in her area, she should go.

Any time the baby wakes up, nurse.

Anytime the baby cries, nurse.

Count the diapers to make sure the baby gets enough. 1 diaper for each day of life up to 6 days, after the 6 day- 6 diapers a day will do. Weight loss the first week, slooooow gain the second week.

No supplementing or paci.

Don't take advice from someone who has not succeeded at breast feeding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoyfulMommy1221
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:20 PM
Have her find a local la leche league!
Also, supplementing can kill supply so avoid it!
There are tons of good bfing books, have her and her mom read them.
When she is in the hospital, even if she feels she's doing things right, talk to a lactation consultant. My lc's advice did not agree with the nurse's advice and was way better! =)
The pain is short lived, push through it, be stubborn!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)